Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Freshwater Fishing
 fridged steelhead fishing ( need help ASAP) >

fridged steelhead fishing ( need help ASAP)

Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

fridged steelhead fishing ( need help ASAP)

Old 02-17-2005, 02:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default fridged steelhead fishing ( need help ASAP)

I will be headed up to erie this weekend , to try to do battle with some steelhead , but what is the best way of catcing them in freezing temps , where the water is barely staying liquid?????

Keeping warm will be tough as well , but im ready for that , i jsut gotta figure out how to catch the fish in such cold water conditions
Old 02-17-2005, 03:01 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: fridged steelhead fishing ( need help ASAP)

Doublelung I used to go almost every weekend all winter and spring to fish the Salmon River and other tribs off Lake Ontario. I got hooked on pan fishing through the ice so I don't make that 4 hour trip anymore but I can still remember how I caught them. We had our best luck when the warm sunny days in Feb and March caused water run off from the snow pack. They ran the hydro to release water on the Salmon and that also produced runs. When you get a pretty good flush the fresh shiny steelies run up the river. There are always resident fish in the river and they are usually pretty dark colored. I liked to fish with spawn sacks, flies or sponge colored orange or pink or green. I drift fished with a 9 foot five weight rod with either 4 or 6 pound test depending on the water depth. Basically you toss the egg sack up stream and sort of bump it along bottom waiting for a take. Some times the strike is hard but most often it is subtle and you get the sensation that the end of the line is alive after a stop. You keep fishing the pools and rapids and get to know where the snags are and the large rocks. Fish slow and try to cover the whole pool or riffle and then do it again. After a few times out you will get the hang of it and always get fish. Other options include fishing egg sacks under a bobber to fish some of the snaggiest water. My personal best is 18 pounds but I had some real big ones on that either left the pool and stripped my line out or broke off due to the rocks. Wear korkers or spikes on your feet because the rocks will be slippery.
Old 02-17-2005, 04:29 PM

I agree with floating an eggsac or powerbait.Sometimes I use a small bobber or else bump the botton.As far as staying warm,the best way is to keep catching fish so you won't get cold.The excitement will keep you warm.You could also use a small spinner depending on where you fish.
Old 02-17-2005, 09:27 PM

DoubleLung55 I been fishing on the 10 and 17 this month . Trout are cold water fish I catch them on woolybugger (Fly) and nymphs. Stop and buy some maggots or egg sacks if you use bait. see you on the stream.

L-Pa
Old 02-18-2005, 07:54 PM

Double Lung..

During the winter months try fishing deep pools...fish slow and on the bottom(feel your line ticking bottom)..try some stoneflies and other nymphs...(hare's ear..pheasant tails)...egg sacs might work as well...i would use light line 4 or 6 pound test as someone stated before...also as they said some strikes might be hard but the majoprity will be very light and tough to detect...let us know how you do...
Old 02-21-2005, 11:55 AM

Let us know how you do. I am planning on heading up there one of these weekends myself. I usually slow roll nymphs or egg patterns when its real cold. I have been itching to get into some steely action but havnt had the time to go yet.
Old 02-22-2005, 03:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well guys im back from my erie trip..... the best uck we had was at TROUT RUN , fishing at the mouth of the creek , where your allowed. I caught a 27.5 inch steelhead through the ice tho right out from the mouth of the stream , the ice is about 3 inches thick , the best bait i saw was jigs , either black with a red head , or gray/white with silver tinsel in it . tip your jig with a minnow , or waxworm... also doin well were single eggs , and sacs . i put my bait about 3 ft down , or hung it under a bobber when in the stream at about 2ft depth , they were slammin it too for some reason ...... but i would have easily limited out in no time , but i realeased all of them but a few to eat.... most of the creeks arent holding many fish at all , but maybe some more will move in , the best luck was at the mouths or in the bays still....