Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

ice auger

Old 12-12-2004, 09:43 PM

Default ice auger

hello, hopefully, i am getting a Quantum rod reel combo ice fishing rod for christmas this year. But I was wondering, what your guys thoughts about manual ice augers 8" were? I'm only 13 and I don't have alot of money so I wanted to get a manual one that costs like $50.00.
Old 12-13-2004, 10:08 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: ice auger

It depends on the size of the fish you are chasing and the expected depth of the ice. An 8" manual auger is real hard to operate with more than 1 foot of ice. If you are after crappie, blue gills, sunnies or perch then a 5" or 6" manual auger will do the trick. Far easier to turn and the hole size is perfect. If you are after bass, pike or large trout then an 8", 10" or even 12" is the answer but an auger that size usually requires a power head. I fish Lake Champlain in Vt almost every day and I usually chase crappie, sunnies and blue gills. I have a couple of manual augers which cost me less than $50. When the ice gets more than 1 foot thick I bring out my Nils Master power auger with a Tenaca power head. I cut lots of holes every day and the power auger is worth the money. I always share my holes as do most of my fishing buddies. Ice fishermen are usually a real friendly bunch so I would be willing to bet they will share holes and techniques on your home ice too. You can operate a 6" manual auger easily and can pull fish up to 8 pounds through the hole if you are careful. Get one of the swedish models because they cut the best.Good luck
Old 12-13-2004, 10:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

If the ice is thick and you want more than one hole pack a lucnch for the 8", for panfish youd be best off with a 6". the 8" is great if the ice is under 7-8 inches and is has good blades..
Old 12-13-2004, 10:46 AM
Fork Horn

An 8in auger is an excellent choice as long as the blades are sharp. Up north where I fish, they are the most common hand augers. Fish up to 20lbs will come thru a 8in hole. Easily cuts thru 2ft of ice in a couple of minutes.
Old 12-15-2004, 08:18 PM
Typical Buck

i have a 8" manual auger its not too bad because the angle of the blades isnt very agersive but i get tired because where im fishn the lake has 4 feet of ice and 3 feet of water(damn Alberta weather). a 6" auger is much easier but dosnt let as much light up the hole, but there enough that you can see clearly.