Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Freshwater Fishing
 Great trip gone to the fishes!!! >

Great trip gone to the fishes!!!

Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Great trip gone to the fishes!!!

Old 11-22-2004, 04:45 PM

Default Great trip gone to the fishes!!!

Well I`m all cried out,finally!
Here it is......I went to my home away from home on a hunting and fishing trip to Saranac Lake N.Y.Got there Saturday Nov.13th.Scouted around for the rest of the day,hung a stand etc. Hunted that spot for 2 days...Nothing.... Went to another area and found alot of sign,hung a stand....Packed it in for an all dayer on top of this mountain for Wednesday cause its 1 1/2 miles from the road all uphill.......Did alot of walking and exploring in this bucks range finding his scrape and rub line. I put 1 and 1 together and figured he was bedded even higher than I was, so I put my stand in a spot that I figured that he would hit first thing in the afternoon.BANG, I was right,got me a 5 pointer-168 lbs. at 2:35pm.Happy, I wasnt worried about the drag,cause now I can FISH! I did some pushes for my buds thursday[hungover] so that was a wash.
Friday morning got in my canoe at daybreak, fished til noon[trolling], caught 6 nice Browns.Went back out about 2:00 caught 5 more.Good day!!
Saturday daybreak,same lake, started hittin browns again!I trolled along the shore in this one spot and picked up a 4 lb Bow,a 3 lb Brown and a Landlocked Salmon about 6 lbs[on a fly rod] trolling.All on 2 passes about 125 yds each pass along the bank.
Went to go on my 3rd pass,let some line out on my brand new Pflueger reel[the President] and my 2yr
old G-Loomis rod,closed the bale,got the line straight,and SEE-YA.That rod shot out of my canoe like an arrow!I felt like that baby bird that fell out of his nest,helpless!All I could do is watch my $275 set up go through the water like a torpedo.WOW! I didn`t even have time to put my leg over my pole,that fast.I figured it was either a BIG Brown or Big Salmon.He ripped it out of the canoe like it was cool.
Went back that afternoon to look for my floating jointed Rebel,hopeing he had spit it out, but of course I had put new treble hooks on this exact lure the night before cause I was always complaining that these trout are always spitting`em out.Well these treble hooks worked cause there was no lure floating!So I gave up and fished the rest of the afternoon knocking them out with my backup and a fly rod.
Well needless to say,I learn`t my lesson,to make sure my drag is very loose,so this wont happen again.
Well my Christmas list just expanded by 2 more items!!
Old 11-23-2004, 07:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Great trip gone to the fishes!!!

That suks about the pole . But good deal on the deer. congrats.

I been to the saranac area quite a few times in the past but its been ...20 yrs or so now.

Liked it up there- miss the pike, bass, perch fishing up there - use to go to meechem lake& some other smaller ponds outside of town. had a cabin we use to rent own dock, small row /alumin boat etc
ussally hunted the sothern tier/ salamaca /pa line area