Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Freshwater Fishing
 What do you do before the lake freezes over but temps still very cold >

What do you do before the lake freezes over but temps still very cold

Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

What do you do before the lake freezes over but temps still very cold

Old 11-18-2004, 03:41 PM

Default What do you do before the lake freezes over but temps still very cold

What fish are still typically hitting in this period before the lakes freeze over but its still very cold?

Is it best to head out when its warmest now? or is day break/sunset still ideal?
Old 11-19-2004, 01:04 PM

Default RE: What do you do before the lake freezes over but temps still very cold

What are you fishing for? The only thing I usually fish for this time of year prior to freeze up is walleyes and around here they fish them deep during the day. By deep I mean the very deepest holes in the lake even up to 100ft. During the summer there isn't enough oxygen that deep but after turn over it all equalizes so the walleyes will go down there. The guys that fish these holes usually bounce heavy jigs tipped with minnows off of the bottom.

My favorite way to fish late in the season is to troll rapalas at night over shallow water. Find a nice size shallow flat (6- 8ft deep) adjacent to deep water and it should hold plenty of walleyes at night in the shallows.
Old 11-20-2004, 04:05 AM

Default RE: What do you do before the lake freezes over but temps still very cold

Usually fish the river mouths where the water stays open longer. In this area trout, salmon and walleye are the most common. I find the time of day at this time of year is not as important as it is mid-summer.
Old 11-21-2004, 07:02 PM

my choice of fish is usually very limited. stocked trout in a small lake, bass, catfish.

Mainly im interested in the trout and bass out of a small local lake. Recently the trout seem to have moved the center of the lake, you can see them jumping, but impossible to reach off shore. The bass seem to still be active, people are catching them by jigging minnows.

Definitly no walleyes locally. [:@]
Old 11-22-2004, 08:06 AM

I just got back from upstate NY Sunday,from a hunting and fishing trip in the Lake Placid area.Got my buck Wednesday afternoon,so I got in my canoe and fished thurs. and fri. and hammered Browns,Bows,and Landlocked salmon trolling 15 to 30 yds from the banks.When the water temp gets cold enough,trout and salmon will be on top water in the shallows and they are real suckers for pin minnows,rebels and top water lures.If you dont have a boat,dont worry,just fish off the edges with top water lures.Throw it,let it set there for 5 to 10 seconds then twitch your lure while reeling it in slowly.
I caught over 20 trout[mostly browns] in 2 days and a salmon.I almost cried leaving that lake its too hot.
OH YEA,I also lost a $275 rod and reel from a big brown or salmon![:@] I`ll make a post on that!

Remember cold water their on top and in the shallows...
Old 11-22-2004, 11:21 AM

thanks a lot i'll keep that in mind.

i'll keep a look out for your post about your rod, thats sucks.
Old 11-25-2004, 07:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

Lake Trout are also in shallow now, along with what beaglefreak posted.