Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Steelhead fishing

Old 08-15-2004, 09:39 AM

Default Steelhead fishing

Just curious as to if anyone steelhead fishes, where and with what.
Old 08-15-2004, 10:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Steelhead fishing

dont they only live in the north west where its really cold like alaska? I think ive seen them on tv but I kinda doubt theres any swimming around florida. How big do they get?
Old 08-15-2004, 10:28 AM

LOL we have them along the west coast all the way from Calif. to Alaska and also they are in the Great Lakes area. Size depends on area, here where I live the returning fish get up to 18lbs. They can get up to 35lbs in other rivers.
Old 08-15-2004, 06:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

i do , i love going .... you can find me throughtout the winter on the tribs of lake ereie , my biggest last year was about 10 lbs , somewhere in taht area ... but ive seen them swim by , that looked about 20 or so lbs ..... i like to watch them swim around at my ffeet while wading in to fish holes , they just bash into ur legs as if you were a rock in the stream lol... so majestic and powerful .....

I use jugs , egg sacks , powerbait , minnows , anything u use for trout they will hit .....i even saw one guy using hot dog , and he was catching more then me with my jigs and high tech scents lol...
Old 08-15-2004, 07:31 PM
Fork Horn

Yes the powerful steelhead, I love fishing for them from the first week in sept to Opening day of Bow season, you can find me steelhead fishing in the Salmon river up north in NY, Love to fish for them with a fly rod, 8lb test line, with some plastic eggs, or a weighted nymph, one heck of a good time.
Old 08-16-2004, 11:49 AM

I use a lightweight 10&1/2 spinning rod, 6lb line and 1/32oz to 1/64oz jigs that I tie myself. Last yr my biggest was 15lbs. I landed a total of 122 fish, but the yr before I landed a total of 451 fish. That was a great yr. When I'm not duck hunting durring that time of the yr I'm fishing for steelhead.
Old 08-18-2004, 02:35 AM

You got the ticket man!! Lightweight line with a bobber and a long rod. I'm in OR, I guess they're all over WA. I love the winters for sure. Fish for summers a bit but they really don't have much on big native winters. My biggest last year was pushing 20 but really dark, I'll post some pics when I have time to downsize em.
Old 08-19-2004, 11:32 AM

Here's acouple from last year.
Old 08-19-2004, 11:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

not bad steelies.... those have been in the creek for a while tho .... Here in PA when they r fresh from lake erie , they r like a shiny new dime form the mint... the sun just beams off them !
Old 08-19-2004, 12:31 PM

Yeah they are not the nice shiney chrome ones that come out of the ocean, these fish have to travel about 500 miles from the ocean, up the Columbia river before they get to the local rivers.

Quick Reply: Steelhead fishing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.