HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Freshwater Fishing (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/freshwater-fishing-21/)
-   -   Building your own rod (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/freshwater-fishing/65997-building-your-own-rod.html)

Idaho Hunter 59 07-13-2004 04:11 PM

Building your own rod

I am still looking for a fly rod. I was looking on Cabelas and they have a bunch of kits. It looks like it would be tought but not too hard. What do you think? Anyone with experience??

thanks

Carpmaster 07-13-2004 07:10 PM

RE: Building your own rod

I am sure that you could do it with a little research, they make books for rodbuilding, maybe contact(pm) gundigest on here about it he builds rods as a hobby and for extra$$$, he probably will point you in the right direction.

digdug 07-13-2004 07:59 PM

I've build 5 rods since last year, including a fly rod that I bought as a kit from Cabelas. The kits I've bought have been very good, the only part of the kit I don't use is the rod finish. For me the toughest part of the rod buiding is in the set up and getting the handle bored out to the correct size. The wrapping of the eyes is easy. (Don't make my mistake and get in a hurry though.)

The toughest part is rod drying if you don't have a rod dryer. If you use a slow drying finish, like flex coat high build (which is what I use) you have slowly turn the rod for until the expoy hardens. (I bought a rod dryer after my 2nd rod.)

Good luck

Gundigest 07-13-2004 08:53 PM

I would recomend the Cabelas rod kits and if you get on their web site you can order a tackle craft catalog. Go to www.mudhole.com they explain a lot about rod building and you can order supplies from them also. If you are going to make multiple rods get a dryer, I have 2 and it is 10 times easier. I would recomend using black thread for the guide wraps, you dont have to use color preserve and there is no bleed through.

Idaho Hunter 59 07-13-2004 11:31 PM

yeah, looking in cabelas is what gave me the idea. It looked like you had to order two things, the blank, and the cork/handle area.

I will try the web site, thanks!!!

Idaho Hunter 59 07-13-2004 11:34 PM

also i am trying to build a fly rod, not a spinning rod.

robdar 07-14-2004 05:58 AM

A guy I have done some work for builds rods as a hobby. He builds everything from fly rods to huge deep sea style rods. I watched him awhile one day and asked some questions. He said that the 2 biggest things about it is knowing the materials you are using and how they effect rod function and feel...and...patience. It seems like slow maticulous work best suited for people who are willing to pay close attention to details...thus...I buy mine.

Idaho hunter 58 07-14-2004 12:37 PM

lol, ya i would like to find someone who makes them.

Gundigest 07-14-2004 02:53 PM

The Cabelas kits include the handle kits, have you looked at my web site?

Idaho hunter 58 07-14-2004 05:46 PM

ya i didn't see any fly rods thou