Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Your opinion:

Old 06-09-2004, 07:57 PM

Default Your opinion:

What do you think is the best all around spinning rod, and fly rod? I have been using my dad's up until recently, and i decided that it was about time that i got my own. So with price in mind, what do you think is the best rod/reel set up for trout and bass and other lake fish. Also with price in mind, what do you think is the best set up for a fly rod/reel. I went to Orvis yesterday, and their cheapest rod/reel combo was $150 a 9ft ... 6 weight or something?

As you can see i am kinda confused as far as the difference in rods. The sales man thought a 9ft rod would do the trick. What do you think?

sorry for all the questions, but thanks for you help.

Idaho
Old 06-09-2004, 08:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Your opinion:

I use a shimano rod and reel for bass/trout/crappie and such. $120.00 for the combo.
Old 06-09-2004, 09:56 PM

what type of shimano?
thanks farmcntry
Old 06-09-2004, 11:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

A few years ago I was in need of a secondary spinning outfit for fly in trip on a budget, I bought a Rapala 6.6ft Tourny Series rod and a Quantum Icon spinning reel. Long in short I bought the same combo for my wife as an upgrade from her Quantum SS2/Berkley Cherrywood combo. I now own 7ft rapala tourney rod with a Quantum Catalyst PTi & Energy PTi spinning reels that I use most of the time as my spinning outfit for all lake fish(Trout, walleye, pike, etc). What is more impressive these combos are used in lieu of shimano reels and variety of rods that cost much more!! The quantums are smooth, no wobble, nice balance and use a great drag system(ceramic). The Rapala tourny series rods have excellent tip feel, nice cork handle and a very positive backbone, when I used the first one I thought nice walleye rod but how will it perform on big pike or scrappy lakers... I guess you can tell what happened(that trip I landed 3 pike on the combo that were 45+", it performed wonderfully and I immediately bought 2 more upon my return home!)

Fly fishing combos aren't my speciality, I use mine mostly for Pike fishing. I personally believe don't buy combos and pay more for the rod than the reel. When I first started my rods was 100 bucks and reel was worth 20-30 bucks, then upgraded the reel later once I found what I wanted and needed. I'd probably suggest a 4-6 wt for trout dependant on size, 9 ft is a good size to handle.

I would suggest getting your hands on as many even the ones out of your immediate price range, jujst to see what you like, etc. Window shooping doesn't cost anything
Old 06-10-2004, 08:27 AM
Typical Buck

Ok, OK, let my just add my opinion. I Have been fishing for years and i have always used cheap rods and reals. I currently use a Shimano gx1000 and a 2000 on both my spinning rods. Each reel was probably only $25 a piece. I attached those to some Berkely rods or what ever i could find for under $30 and away i go. I have never broke a rod, or reel catching any fish. I fish for bass, walleye, crappie, etc..... and never had a problem. You can buy any expensive rod and reel set if you want, but it's the fisherman that catches the fish. find what you like and use it. IMO, i think shimano makes some decent stuff for very little $$$. I just saw a sale on "Ugly sticks" at wal-mart.. Can't break and ugly stick and they where going for about $24. Not bad if you ask me.
Old 06-10-2004, 01:19 PM

great replys, thank you very much. Skeeter, the spiining combo you discussed using on pike, would it still work well with smaller lake fish, like trout? thanks for the input, keep it coming!

Idaho
Old 06-10-2004, 03:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

what type of shimano?
thanks farmcntry
Sedona
Old 06-10-2004, 04:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

hard to go wrong with a shimano sedona i think. As far as rod depends on dish you are going for more than anything, next comes skill level..for all around excluding large gamefish i like 7' light or medium light for bass, walleye, trout, smaller pike, panfish
Old 06-10-2004, 04:28 PM

cool, so somewhere between 6'6" and 7 or so? That is kinda what i am picking up. what weight? 4-12 or something?

thanks for helping me out.
Idaho
Old 06-10-2004, 05:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

what kind of fish???? If i am using a rod rated for 4-10 lb test i use 6 -8 lb line. heavier the bigger the fish.

Quick Reply: Your opinion:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.