Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Catfishing info

Old 06-09-2004, 04:10 AM

Default Catfishing info

Finally after years my brother and I are getting together to do some fishing- I used to be so dead serious about bass fishing but anymore I am fishing for the fun of it again!

We are talking about making a 3 day catfishing trip to either Virginia or the Carolinas for some cats. We are looking for some good reliable info on where to go , spots to fish maybe even a guide for a day. We really want to have some fun and load the boat up with some good eating size fish and maybe even a bruiser or two. Im doing internet searches but thought Id ask here first since Hunting net. is my home.

ANY HELP would be Appreciated.

I live in WV on the Va border and am willing to travel a few hundred miles- just want to find a GREAT place to go with lots of fish !!!
Old 06-09-2004, 01:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Catfishing info

James River in JamesTown VA has MONSTER cats. And they are just about ready right now!!
Also Smith Mtn. Lake in Va has nice everything. LM Bass, SM Bass, stripers, cats, etc.

NC has Lake Norman, Lake Jordan, Baden Lake, Wataugua Lake and High Rock Lake. All have nice cats. Or you could get in the Yadkin River above High Rock Lake and catch nice Blues.

Then there is SC and Santee Cooper. Known for monster cats. And plenty of good guides down there.
Old 06-09-2004, 02:12 PM
Typical Buck

The James and Cumberland Rivers both have excellent blue cat fishing, however it's best in late winter. Keep in mind, most of the guides there are C & R only with big cats. Santee has lots of guides, and most allow you to take some home.
Old 06-09-2004, 06:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

good luck on the cats!
Old 06-10-2004, 12:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I live in WV, and Might be able to help some. The New River in Fayette county has some very good flathead catfighing. And the Ohio River in Kanawa County has huge Blues and flats in it. Either one is a prime choice for you to fish.
Old 06-11-2004, 05:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Like farmcntry said, the James River is the best spot in the Old Dominion for monster cats. I do most of my catfishing closer to Northern VA, in Occoquan Bay, Broad Run, and the Rappahannock River, but the James River is far and away the best.
Old 06-11-2004, 09:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

but the James River is far and away the best
Not to mention it's FULL of croakers!