HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Freshwater Fishing (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/freshwater-fishing-21/)
-   -   Fly tying? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/freshwater-fishing/62823-fly-tying.html)

Beard Buster 06-03-2004 11:30 PM

Fly tying?

Does anybody else on here tie flies? Or at least fly fish? Just wonderin how many others there are out there. BB

buckshot47 06-04-2004 05:39 AM

RE: Fly tying?

I'm addicted to both. Started tying flys afew years ago adds a lot to fly fishing because it lets you personalize things. I love the feeling when you come up with a new pattern or color combination that the fish cant resist. It's also a great way to spend those rainy days when you cant go fishing.

turkeyhunter_15 06-04-2004 06:27 AM

I Started Tying Fly Few Years Ago, And Liked Doing It, Well Then I Had Alot Of Flys So I Took Up Fly Fishing.:D

Atrox 06-04-2004 04:19 PM

Been fly fishing for 12 years and tying flies for 5 years. The water is getting warm in the small lake near where I live so Wednesday I fished for small mouth bass and had good luck with one at over four lbs. The lake is a private club and is stocked with trout and catfish but the bass are mostly ignored by the worm tossers so there is almost no pressure on them and very few fly fish for trout or any fish. Lots of crappie and bluegill also.
Atrox
:)

Beard Buster 06-06-2004 12:30 AM

WHat kind of fly did you use on the small mouth? I just came up with a killer crawdad imitation. But it takes me about an hour on each one. I am just learning how to tie with deer hair and other types that flare out when you tie them. I love the irresistables. Are there any tricks on tying on deer hair? And I agree buckshot, there is nothing like coming up with a pattern that catches fish. I still remember the first fish I caught on one of my flies. It was a bluegill and I caught it on a #14 gnat. It was amazing. BB

Lilhunter 06-06-2004 03:57 PM

used to commericaly tie flies. Fly fish more then not.

turkeyhunter_15 06-07-2004 05:55 AM

I Like Working With Deer Hair But Its A Lil Messy But Its Fun.
Iduno Any Tricks Really Just The Normal Way lol:)

Atrox 06-07-2004 03:27 PM

BB, I have been tying a minnow using course hair that is dyed blue and white using a # 4 hook. Atrox

Beard Buster 06-11-2004 01:32 PM

I'm going to New Mexico tomorrow to see my brother. He lives right near the San Juan river. The San Juan is arguably the best trout river in north america. I'm looking really forward to that. I'm trying to find a way to get my fly fishing and tying stuff on the plane. Shoul d I put my rod in carry on or in the luggage? I made it a case from 2" PVC pipe. And also, do you think they will give me heck about my scissors? Thanks. BB

Beard Buster 06-11-2004 01:35 PM

Hey yall, I have a really important question. My old PE coach gave me a bamboo fly rod that his grandpa made in 1920. The end is cracking and two of the eyelets are broken off. Where should I go to get the materials to fix it? Or can I just fix it with a little epoxy? Thanks again. BB