Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Fly tying?

Old 06-11-2004, 07:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Fly tying?

Beardbuster,
Make sure you have lots of midges for the San Juan. Griffith's Gnats work great, but have plenty of different patterns dry and pupa. Long Fine tippets and drag free drift is more important than actual pattern there.

As far as your carry on goes? Put any sharp objects, scissors included in your checked luggage or they will take them no doubt about it. You can carry your rod on as long as it's under a certain size limit? Can't remember.......but obviously 2 piece rods are a no no anymore.

Bamboo rod repair? No your aren't fixing it with just some epoxy, especially if the tip is splitting. Find a qualified rodsmith to give you an official opinion, but it sounds like you have a wallhanger.

By the way........yeah I'm a fly tyer. Also guided fly fishing in Montana , Yellowstone, NY and PA. Been fly fishing for 23 years.
Old 06-11-2004, 09:37 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks a bunch for the advice Matt. I don't really plan on fishing with that bamboo rod, but It will really be neat to have a small peice of history. Well, I have to get some sleep. I have to catch the plane in the morning. BB
Old 06-11-2004, 09:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Beardbuster.......hope you are still awake!
I edited my post to read "Checked in Luggage". Do not put your scissors in your carry on or you could be in for a big time hassle as well as out a pair of scissors!

I accidentally wrote put them in your carry on luggage in my first post.......my bad.
Old 06-16-2004, 11:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I love to fly fish. I have been doing it for years. I love it!! However, I have tried tying flys and just can't get it.
Old 06-17-2004, 08:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

been tryin to flyfish off and on for a few years....started with bluegills.....i bought the rod to troutfish like dad....mono using the rod to flip crawlers out into the little streams....but i went to a pond with bass and gills in it and took the flyrod line leader and a few flies that came with my cheap plflueger and loved catching them.....then started tying..but had no idea what i was doing.....this year i caught my first trout on flies...about a dozen of them...all on dry flies.....it was GREAT....cant wait to do it again........havent been out since....creeks here pretty much dried up......when me and dad head north the fly rod is coming....

Matt......thanx alot for the help all these years.....it finally paid off.....im still building my flybox but im getting there.....me and dad plan on going after native and wilds pretty soon.....cant wait.....thanx alot