Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Catfish??

Old 06-29-2004, 04:16 PM

Default RE: Catfish??

For bait i use live bluegill. Sometimes i will cut their heads off, but fot most of the time they are alive. As far as equipment, i dont use rod and reel. I set lines out over night. I use 50 pound test line. The biggest that i have cought doing that was a 50 pound flathead (thats what you usually catch doing this) at Lake of the Ozarks. I even cought a bass that was 2 1/2 pounds, just 1/2 a pound short of the Missouri State record of a bass cought using alternative methods.
Old 06-29-2004, 08:54 PM

Default RE: hey835eric

ORIGINAL: Carpmaster

where do you fish in NE iOWA?????hows the fishing been??? I have been living in iowa city for a few months the fishing is horrible here, did alright at lake rethbun over the weekend though.
on the mississippi river. When the locusts start buzzing in the trees grab your stink bait and head out,fish the channel around the rocks and cut off dams.cut bait works earlier in ths spring up by the dams,but this time of year stay in the channel.Should be getting good here as soon as they put the gates back in the water and slow the current down
Old 07-03-2004, 10:01 AM
Spike

Hey Farmcnty , you ever catch them big flats at buggs, we get them when they come up the dan river some up to 40 pounds,we use bream and big gold fish.,this year the dan has been muddy most of the days i am off,have not figured the blues out yet at buggs some time we get lucky on the dan when the blues are up, i hear a new state record was caught the other week at buggs 90plus pound blue, thats a hog, well good luck this weekend,if i was not working i may be there beside you.see ya
Old 07-04-2004, 12:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

lw, you can wear flatheads out up there on what you are using. Blues are picky. We use jumbo minnows and is they won't hit that, cut the head off, if they won't hit that, cut the head and tail off. You also have to find out what depth they are. If they are 20ft deep I float the bait at 18ft.
35lbs is the biggest blue we got up there. And yes we do have a new state record. Still haven't heard the actually weight yet. That'll be me one day!
Old 07-04-2004, 02:19 PM
Spike

hey farm where are you from, and maybe one of these days you can show me how to catch a blue, i am not much good on lakes but up the river is different,if it will quit raining,drop me a line at [email protected], see ya
Old 07-06-2004, 03:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

The tourney sucked. Caught one fish 4# and didn't win a dang thing![:@]
We fished from 9pm until 5am and I only caught 1 fish!