Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Trout tactics

Old 03-18-2004, 08:05 AM

Default RE: Trout tactics

Ok heres an idea for the brownies. Wait till after a thunderstorm or quick rain shower, when the creeks are a little muddy. This is the time to go fishin. Ok your gonna wanna use nightcrawlers. With as small of a hook you can use without the trout being able to swallow it to easily. I use size 10. Ok you pinch the head of the night crawler off right at that ring that goes around his body. Slide the hook through where you just pinched his head off . Make sure you get the hook so the hole staright part of it is inside the worm and not visible. And let the hook part come out through the worms body on the side. Find and good hole and throw this is. If the water is too fast put some split shots on your line about 10-12 inches from the worm.
Old 03-18-2004, 04:44 PM

thanks for all the replies-getting about time to try them
Old 03-22-2004, 04:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

A cp or swiss swing sized according to conditions. Pheasant tail nymphs, Or plain old garden worms (small) Flouresent Orange glo eggs. and tiny split shots placed 18" and 24" . 2 small ones are better than one big one.
Old 03-24-2004, 10:48 PM

Well I know you all have some good trout tactics up your sleeve right now and I'm glad. So, I'll answer your question myself what I use alot are Power Bait when fishing in lakes but in creeks I use other small stuff like redworms, minnows, and grubs.
But heres a question for you all.:

What do you all think is best to use for deep running large trout?
Old 03-25-2004, 01:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Having caught well over 100 trout in WV so far this year... (and with Maryland's opening day coming this Saturday), I'll give you the rundown on whats producing for me this year.

4 lb line. size 10 single hook with the smallest split shot you can get while still maintaining occasional bottom contact. 1/2 or 1/4 of a nightcrawler. Cast up or across stream, and let it tumble in the current, reeling up the slack as you go. Dont set the hook as you would in bass or catfish.. Just keep reeling, and when you feel weight or a bite (tap tap tap), just flick the rod tip in the air.

4 lb line. size 14 treble hook. Use just enough powerbait to cover the hook. Same technique as above.

4 - 6 lbs mono. 1/32 oz jighead. 2" plastic minnow body (thin minnows are usually better than the shad type). Cast above the fish and let it float down in the current with the occasional twitch. (deadly on holdovers,wild, and native fish).

Use a strike indicator is you must. If a trout even thinks about hitting, that indicator will move, dart, dip, or do something out of the ordinary.. Thats when you give him the flip with the rod tip.

Well I know you all have some good trout tactics up your sleeve right now and I'm glad. So, I'll answer your question myself what I use alot are Power Bait when fishing in lakes but in creeks I use other small stuff like redworms, minnows, and grubs.
But heres a question for you all.:

Dead minnows. big trout tend to be more of scavengers and will take a dead minnow just about as fast as anything.
Old 03-25-2004, 05:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

You didn't say how deep.

Try spoons, Brown or Rainbow Trout Crocodile.
Old 04-12-2004, 03:39 PM

Check out www.fishontario.com...
Old 04-13-2004, 10:07 AM

Joe FLies work well, as do Kastmasters. Just put some time in on the water and you will find what works for your situation.
Old 04-13-2004, 02:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Small streams = night crawler, size 6 aberdeen hook and splitshot

larger stream/river = small spinners, small cd rapalas, and crawlers always work
Old 04-16-2004, 01:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

i know next to nothing about trout, so here is my question:
what would you suggest for trout in a pond? no current, murky water, and i cant use live bait. Any suggestions for types/colors of lures?