Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Fly Fishing Setup

Old 01-05-2004, 09:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Fly Fishing Setup

Happy New Year all!!!

My end to the 2003 sucked, I went and discovered my shed at the cabin had been broken into and found some of my fishing equipment was the target. So now I need to replace some items[:'(].

Any way one of the piece was my fly rod and reel combo. I am looking for input on a rod that would suit my usage(if possible) The fly rod setup that was stolen was used for Pike Fishing here in Saskatchewan and was extremely heavy. However I would like to get a replacement that would be suitable for Pike and Trout fishing. Is there such a animal??? Any reccomendations from some of you more experienced fly fisherman on a rod weight that will handle pike up to 30lbs on occasion (mostly 5-20lbs), rainbows and the odd grayling trip. Is this far fetched or can I find a happy medium???

thanks
Old 01-08-2004, 06:50 PM

Default RE: Fly Fishing Setup

YOu might want to try a 8 weight rod.
Old 01-08-2004, 07:12 PM
Fork Horn

I second the 8 wt. The 8 wt. more for the pike.
Old 01-08-2004, 10:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks guys, would the 8 wt be suitable to through light trout flies? What do most trout fisherman use? ( we don't have lots of stream fishing here), but a number of stocked lake for rainbows, splake and some other types...I'd be looking at rainbows mostly and like I said I may use it when I head up north and fish grayling but I have a ultra light spinning outfit that works dandy for that application.

Mine was a 10 wt prior and I couldn't work it very well with the smaller stuff, it worked awesome for throwing at Pike though which was always my main concern. I just thought since I had to start over if possible could I get a setup that would allow me to use it a bit more than my previous setup.

thanks agian, I am not a bigtime flyfisherman but do enjoy it, so help is much appreciated!
Old 01-09-2004, 10:28 AM

Hi, Skeeter-

Sorry to hear about the break-in.

I agree that an 8 wt. would probably be a good bet for most of the pike that you'll run into, but I think it would be too much for most trout fishing. However, it will be a LOT better than trying to use a 10wt.

I use a 5wt almost exclusively for larger-stream trout and I'm currently building a 4wt for small streams. A six would be good for what you're talking about as well.

If you're limited to one rod/reel, I'll agree with the 8. If you can swing to, get one in #5 or #6 and the other #8.

What types do you have in mind?
Old 01-09-2004, 10:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

The setup that was stolen was St. Croix rod with a pFleuger reel. I have just filled out the ins paperwork and haven't been ok'd to buy any of the items stolen as of yet. I did submit the replacement cost of the St. Croix Imperial Rod with a pFleuger Trion Reel. I haven't done any real touchy feely, just got the insurance crap done and am awaiting the decision.

Given your feedback I would be best going with a 8 wt for Pike and 5/6 for trout. Could anybody suggest some rods and reels to look at? I was thinking maybe I could get 2 lower priced combos instead to stretch the usage. I really don't have the opportunity to fly fish a ton here, so I really don't need a 400 combo for the amount I use it. Like I said I am not anywhere close to being an expert with a flyrod, like it and enjoy catching pike. Any suggestion would be much apprectiated.

Thanks
Old 01-10-2004, 03:58 PM

Skeeter - check you email.
Old 01-10-2004, 08:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Grizzlybear, Sorry try it again as my profile was updated with my current email (it is now).

thanks
Old 01-10-2004, 08:54 PM
Fork Horn

What to buy is kind of like the hoyt vs mathews vs bowtech threads, they're all good. I have 2 sage rods, 1- 8' 4 wt, 1- 9' 6wt, 1 Penn 9' 9wt and 1- orvis 7' 4wt. I almost exclusively fish my 8' 4wt for trout and the 9' 9wt for salmon. I bought all of them used and saved quite a bit. My sage 4 wt with a scientific angler reel, line and backing cost me $125 (back in 1990). Good luck.
Old 01-25-2004, 02:50 AM
Fork Horn

Hard to find one set-up that will do the job on such a large size range. I don't have any experience with fishing Pike, but presume they fight hard as Salmon/Trout.
Personall if I had to run with one rod only, I'd favour a 6 weight and be prepared to put more time/care in if I am lucky enough to hook a fish in the 20 pound+ range. (I wish.)
I've taken quite a few big trout around the 10 pound mark with the 6 weight.

Good luck

Quick Reply: Fly Fishing Setup

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.