HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Freshwater Fishing (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/freshwater-fishing-21/)
-   -   Ordered a new fishing boat (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/freshwater-fishing/426916-ordered-new-fishing-boat.html)

Champlain Islander 10-26-2021 11:56 AM

Ordered a new fishing boat

I spend a lot of time out on Lake Champlain and decided that my trusty 10 year old Lund fishing boat needs to retire. I have looked at a ton of boats and finally decided to order a new Ranger Deep V Angler VS 1782 SC. The pandemic has impacted boat builders like many other businesses so my order won't be filled until late winter or hopefully early spring at the latest. I hope it all works out as planned. Today was my 170th trip out on the lake this year counting winter ice season so I'll be spending lots of time in the new boat.

mrbb 10-26-2021 12:32 PM

well congrats on the new boat a coming top you soon
ranger makes some great boats
few friends I have that own them are very happy with them
minus there price tags, but, you only live once, enjoy all you can I say1

Champlain Islander 10-26-2021 02:10 PM

Yup they are a bit more than I wanted to spend but when I looked at 17 foot boats by Lund, Alumacraft, Tracker, Crestliner, Polarcraft, and Smoker/ Starcraft equipped with what I wanted the price of the Ranger was reasonable. Most of what comes standard on the Ranger Aluminum is an add on option on the other brands. Even the outboard that comes standard on the Ranger was an extra charge on all of the others. At my age it will most likely be my last fishing boat. Today was a big rain event with some building winds. The 8 mile run back to the ramp into the wind was a white knuckle ride in my small Lund. Having a big beam deep V hull with good power would have made that return trip much easier.

CalHunter 10-26-2021 02:27 PM

That's a good looking boat and it does look like it could handle more than the Lunds.

Bocajnala 10-26-2021 02:54 PM

Will you keep your other boat or sell it? I would guess living on the lake like you do that you should be able to find a buyer locally.

-Jake

Champlain Islander 10-26-2021 03:00 PM

Lake Champlain is a big lake (110 miles long) and we get some pretty big winds and waves here. My Lund is a small 16 with a narrow beam. I am pretty good in it but a few times it was getting kind of dicey. There are some days I don't go out just because I know it won't be enjoyable. Having a bigger more powerful boat will get me out more days and be safer. I have owned a lot of different boats in my life all the way from family sized stern drives, a fiberglass bass boat, various aluminum boats of different sizes running up to 22 feet, canoes, kayaks and even a flat bottom skiff. They all served a purpose and were well used.

Champlain Islander 10-26-2021 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Bocajnala (Post 4398093)
Will you keep your other boat or sell it? I would guess living on the lake like you do that you should be able to find a buyer locally.

-Jake

I will either private sale it or just trade it in to the boat dealer. I still have a 20 foot Glastron with a Volvo Penta sterndrive I keep in a lift at my dock. I never fish out of it and we just use it as a family boat for riding around, going out to dinner at lakeside restaurants and taking grand kids out for a day on the lake. Wife's rule....no fishing in that boat...lol.

Champlain Islander 03-23-2022 03:06 PM

Latest on the new Ranger fishing boat. I ordered it in October 2021and it finally came in. All decked out in the upgrades and options I specified but was a smaller boat than I ordered. The guy putting in the order screwed up. So now they are scrambling and the ranger builders aren't taking new orders until June 1st which will be a 2023 model year build with resulting price increase. Meeting the dealership GM salesman and owner tomorrow but CI is not a happy camper.
Edit update; I just got home from dealership and my boat has been reordered. It will have to be a 2023 production boat since all available build slots are done. New 23 production starts June 1. Prices went up with new model year but they are honoring last years price and giving me an additional $3000 discount for my trouble. Without naming the business.. kudos to the largest boat dealer in the north eastern part of New York state located in Plattsburgh for doing the right thing.

homecare2022 04-12-2022 12:10 AM

Your plans are great. I admire you so much, congratulations

Champlain Islander 08-22-2022 03:18 PM

I finally got the new boat. Looks great can't wait to get her out tomorrow. I want to give a shout out to a great dealership who moved heaven and earth to keep me happy. Day Brothers Boats and RV in Plattsburgh NY is a first class operation. If you are in northern NY or Vermont state give them a try. When people step up to do what is right it should be recognised.