Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Freshwater Fishing
Weigh ins at tournaments >

Weigh ins at tournaments

Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Weigh ins at tournaments

Old 07-25-2021, 04:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Weigh ins at tournaments

I was watching a tournament on the bass pro circuit and noticed they weigh fish immediately after catching them and then release the fish. Anyone else adopt this strategy for tournaments? I like the idea and am pitching it to my group for our future tournaments. Some like the idea and some don't.
Old 07-25-2021, 08:48 AM
Dominant Buck

Would certainly result in far less accidental fish mortality relating to tournaments. That particular concept comes from the Major League Fishing top tier trail I think. It limits participants and has marshals who stay in electronic contact and upgrade results through a tablet. The lower tiers still have the traditional weigh in I believe. I watched the latest MLF Toyota Truck series event last week in Plattsburgh New York. Had a few friends who participated and one of my best fishing buddies came in 3rd and made $12,750 on the boater side. His 17 year old son came in 6th on the co-angler side and made $2650. Lots of fun to watch and saw some awesome fish.

Last edited by Champlain Islander; 07-25-2021 at 09:04 AM.
Old 07-25-2021, 12:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

That’s a good pay out for catching fish!
Old 07-25-2021, 01:06 PM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by chazspot
That’s a good pay out for catching fish!
yes but he makes a ton of money on fish. He guides all summer on Lake Champlain and fishes lots of tournaments on the big lake. He is known as a local expert and in 2018 he entered the B.A.S.S. open as a professional and won it over lots of nationally recognized pros. I think his winning on that one was $61,000. Normally when he fishes either one of the bassmaster or FLW/ MLF tournaments he cashes a check.
Old 07-25-2021, 01:34 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander
yes but he makes a ton of money on fish. He guides all summer on Lake Champlain and fishes lots of tournaments on the big lake. He is known as a local expert and in 2018 he entered the B.A.S.S. open as a professional and won it over lots of nationally recognized pros. I think his winning on that one was $61,000. Normally when he fishes either one of the bassmaster or FLW/ MLF tournaments he cashes a check.
Speaking of fish C I , how are you doing on cashing in on Perch this year ? Usually you post on the daily or weekly catch .
Old 07-25-2021, 02:06 PM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by SportsmanNH
Speaking of fish C I , how are you doing on cashing in on Perch this year ? Usually you post on the daily or weekly catch .
Hammering them this year. They are running bigger and more numerous especially in the Inland sea portion of Lake Champlain. Now that the invasive alewives are here the perch are having a feast. The last 2 years a bunch of us figured out the deep water fishing which really has produced. Normally after the shallow water spring bite the fish go quiet. Special rod, braid and a high low sinker rig and get ready to fill coolers. Come fall I use plastic which are actually pieces of used up crappie baits instead of live bait. Right now though crawlers are the blue plate special.
Old 07-25-2021, 02:27 PM
Fork Horn

Hammering them this year. They are running bigger and more numerous especially in the Inland sea portion of Lake Champlain. Now that the invasive alewives are here the perch are having a feast. The last 2 years a bunch of us figured out the deep water fishing which really has produced. Normally after the shallow water spring bite the fish go quiet. Special rod, braid and a high low sinker rig and get ready to fill coolers. Come fall I use plastic which are actually pieces of used up crappie baits instead of live bait. Right now though crawlers are the blue plate special.
NICE ! I talked to a bunch of guys fishing the big lakes on the NY side , but most of them are targeting Walleyes . They are catching a ton of them but most of them are shorts. They have never seen that many shorts
Old 07-25-2021, 02:55 PM
Dominant Buck

Yup been hearing that too. I live on the west side facing upstate ny. Nice water here with lots of Lakers and other game fish but I focus on panfish all year. I do keep a power boat on the water (in a boat lift) out front but I trailer my Lund fishing boat usually to different parts of the inland sea.

Last edited by Champlain Islander; 07-25-2021 at 02:58 PM.
Old 07-26-2021, 08:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yup been hearing that too. I live on the west side facing upstate ny. Nice water here with lots of Lakers and other game fish but I focus on panfish all year. I do keep a power boat on the water (in a boat lift) out front but I trailer my Lund fishing boat usually to different parts of the inland sea.
Do you target the panfish because you like eating them rather than the other fish?
Old 07-26-2021, 09:04 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by chazspot
Do you target the panfish because you like eating them rather than the other fish?
I like to eat most fish but actually prefer ocean fish. I normally go a few times a year to fill a freezer with fish off the coast of Massachusetts or Maine/ New Hampshire.The Champlain pan fish that I don't eat all go to a broker who wholesales them or at times fillets them and markets them locally and regionally. It is legal to sell non game fish here in this state.

Last edited by Champlain Islander; 07-26-2021 at 10:35 AM.