HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Freshwater Fishing (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/freshwater-fishing-21/)
-   -   Stocking game fish in private ponds in Montana (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/freshwater-fishing/423741-stocking-game-fish-private-ponds-montana.html)

Montana Man 07-10-2020 03:22 PM

Stocking game fish in private ponds in Montana

I am trying to stock largemouth bass, crappie (black & white), bluegill and yellow perch in a private pond in SE Montana and I am having trouble finding any hatcheries that can ship into Montana or are willing. So I thought I would ask in this form and see if anyone else has had any luck?
Thank you

mrbb 07-10-2020 04:14 PM

first off, is it LEGAL to do so, as that is a problem in many sates, as it can be a law about importing any fish or wildlife from another state
if it IS legal
Honestly I would try contacting the local game dept and ask them, maybe they stock some places too and might know folks that you can get fish from!

other wise, do a s search in your area for folks that design and BUILD ponds , odds are again, they will know who sells fish for stocking

but to me, I am thinking its ILLEGAL do import and do so, so be careful, don';t want to get a fine or worse, game depts, DO read f and look at some forums you know LOL
better safe than sorry!

Oldtimr 07-11-2020 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by mrbb (Post 4378812)
first off, is it LEGAL to do so, as that is a problem in many sates, as it can be a law about importing any fish or wildlife from another state
if it IS legal
Honestly I would try contacting the local game dept and ask them, maybe they stock some places too and might know folks that you can get fish from!

other wise, do a s search in your area for folks that design and BUILD ponds , odds are again, they will know who sells fish for stocking

but to me, I am thinking its ILLEGAL do import and do so, so be careful, don';t want to get a fine or worse, game depts, DO read f and look at some forums you know LOL
better safe than sorry!

The above is the exact advise you should listen to.

Montana Man 07-12-2020 06:29 PM

I did go through the FWP in the state of Montana that is why I know these are the only fish species they will allow me to stock. I also know that if I get an out of state agreement in which the hatchers meet the Montana standards I can bring fish into this state. I was asking if anyone has used a hatchery that has shipped into Montana before or will be doing the requirements that Montana has issued.

mrbb 07-13-2020 06:07 AM

that was why I suggest contacting some pond builds and or again the fish dept, I am sure they have looked into folks that stocked ponds and pond builders have ordered and fill ponds they made with fish
a I am guessing that the odds of a member here having first had experience with this is going to be low!, and not only that, rules and regulations change, so, using folks that work with them things ion your state, would most likely get you the best answers and help finding someone closer to you to get you what you want!
I mean it never hurts to ask anything in a forum, but some times the direction of answers or gaining good info, can take a curve, but as long as it gets you to the same place, some times you have to call that a win ??