HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Freshwater Fishing (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/freshwater-fishing-21/)
-   -   Short Spinning Pole (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/freshwater-fishing/423676-short-spinning-pole.html)

redmag 06-27-2020 02:10 PM

Short Spinning Pole

My brother trout fishes like a maniac. He asked me to look online to see if I could find a two piece spinning pole that would be less than 6 feet. He generally uses 8 lb test line. He wants it for wading at mid stream on some small runs in WV that are overgrown with multiflora rose bushes. Does anyone have a suggestion on a good pole to fit this bill? Thanks.

d80hunter 06-29-2020 04:51 AM

I use a 5'6" ugly stik elite spinning rod for wading and kayak fishing. The action is fast enough for a short rod IMO.

The Ugly Stik GX2 would work too.

redmag 06-29-2020 08:10 AM

Thank you sir. I will pass this on to him.

Whitetailturkey01 11-13-2020 03:27 PM

I know this is late but heres a suggestion
Get a 5'foot ultra light rod amd a shimano seinna 500 spinning reel. Spool with 4-6 lb line. Great for trout and panfish. P.S. I caught a 6 lb largemouth bass on this exact setup when I was crappie fishing. So it good for the OCCASIONAL just so happened to bite bass.

Mr. Slim 11-16-2020 02:29 PM

i use a 5.5 foot ultra light rod with an ultra light reel. 4 pound test line is usually good enough for trout unless you hook onto a monster. by the way my rod is two piece.

Champlain Islander 11-26-2020 10:08 AM

I have several dozen rods for various uses. I like to fish panfish especially crappie and found the perfect rod for my use and it is only 50 bucks. I buy them at Dick's Sporting goods and they are made by Field and Stream. The particular model I like is the 6 foot single piece tech lite UL. In addition to catching crappie the rod is especially suited for shallow water perch in the spring using 1/8 oz round head jigs with curly tail plastic baits. Nice and lite, easy to throw and has a very sensitive tip with a decent backbone to set hooks and handle the unintended large fish catch. I normally pair it with a Pflueger President 30 series spinning reel with either 4 or 6 pound Trilene Sensation in solar. For crappie I like both the Bobby Garland baby shad as well as Lake Fork Tackle sickle tail baby shad all fished on either 1/32 oz or 1/16 oz round jig heads.

WyatBaker 06-12-2021 07:52 PM

Was looking for a good spinning reel, helpful suggestions. Thanks!!

JaySouth 08-30-2021 11:54 AM

Ditto on the Shiimano Sienna 500. I would definitely go with lighter line than 8#. I typically use 4# line. Most trout lures are very light and trying to cast with anything heavier than 4# is difficult.

flags 09-01-2021 03:06 PM

Keep an eye on Walmart. Several times a year they have good deals on a 5 1/2 ft Shakespeare rods. I grab them for about $17 when they go on sale. Great little rods.