Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Short Spinning Pole

Old 06-27-2020, 02:10 PM
Fork Horn

Default Short Spinning Pole

My brother trout fishes like a maniac. He asked me to look online to see if I could find a two piece spinning pole that would be less than 6 feet. He generally uses 8 lb test line. He wants it for wading at mid stream on some small runs in WV that are overgrown with multiflora rose bushes. Does anyone have a suggestion on a good pole to fit this bill? Thanks.
Old 06-29-2020, 04:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use a 5'6" ugly stik elite spinning rod for wading and kayak fishing. The action is fast enough for a short rod IMO.

The Ugly Stik GX2 would work too.
Old 06-29-2020, 08:10 AM
Fork Horn

Thank you sir. I will pass this on to him.
Old 11-13-2020, 03:27 PM
Spike

I know this is late but heres a suggestion
Get a 5'foot ultra light rod amd a shimano seinna 500 spinning reel. Spool with 4-6 lb line. Great for trout and panfish. P.S. I caught a 6 lb largemouth bass on this exact setup when I was crappie fishing. So it good for the OCCASIONAL just so happened to bite bass.
Old 11-16-2020, 02:29 PM
Typical Buck

i use a 5.5 foot ultra light rod with an ultra light reel. 4 pound test line is usually good enough for trout unless you hook onto a monster. by the way my rod is two piece.
Old 11-26-2020, 10:08 AM
Dominant Buck

I have several dozen rods for various uses. I like to fish panfish especially crappie and found the perfect rod for my use and it is only 50 bucks. I buy them at Dick's Sporting goods and they are made by Field and Stream. The particular model I like is the 6 foot single piece tech lite UL. In addition to catching crappie the rod is especially suited for shallow water perch in the spring using 1/8 oz round head jigs with curly tail plastic baits. Nice and lite, easy to throw and has a very sensitive tip with a decent backbone to set hooks and handle the unintended large fish catch. I normally pair it with a Pflueger President 30 series spinning reel with either 4 or 6 pound Trilene Sensation in solar. For crappie I like both the Bobby Garland baby shad as well as Lake Fork Tackle sickle tail baby shad all fished on either 1/32 oz or 1/16 oz round jig heads.
Old 06-12-2021, 07:52 PM
Spike

Was looking for a good spinning reel, helpful suggestions. Thanks!!
Old 08-30-2021, 11:54 AM
Spike

Ditto on the Shiimano Sienna 500. I would definitely go with lighter line than 8#. I typically use 4# line. Most trout lures are very light and trying to cast with anything heavier than 4# is difficult.
Old 09-01-2021, 03:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Keep an eye on Walmart. Several times a year they have good deals on a 5 1/2 ft Shakespeare rods. I grab them for about $17 when they go on sale. Great little rods.