Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Freshwater Fishing
Fishing urged during Covid19 >

Fishing urged during Covid19

Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Fishing urged during Covid19

Old 04-04-2020, 01:29 PM
Dominant Buck

Default Fishing urged during Covid19

Vermont Fish and Game put out a release telling people that fishing was a good way to get recreation while observing proper social distancing. I applaud that action and will try to get out every day the weather co-operates.
Old 04-04-2020, 07:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Down here in Virginia, Gov "Blackface" Northam" has all sorts of policies, closing this down, closing that down, etc... Public parks, playgrounds, basketball courts, etc.. are all shutdown, but yet the walking trails and boat launches and fishing piers are still open (for now).

I try to get out as much as I can since they also closed schools for the remainder of the school year, so I am not driving my bus.
Old 04-04-2020, 11:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

Here our governor made the entire month of April a free fishing month to try and get people motivated. They want people to keep social distancing and to get them out moving around. I have tried a couple of brook trout streams. It’s still a little early but will soon be picking up as our weather warms up. This coming week I will get the boat and trailer registered and try some landlocked salmon soon. Ice out is the best time to catch those while trolling along.. Some nice times ahead while practicing self distancing..
Old 04-05-2020, 01:25 PM
Dominant Buck

Perch were hungry today. I verticle jigged about 100 pounds
Old 04-05-2020, 03:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Our neighbor MN, is typically passive aggressive about all things. Some counties have closed landings. Some beaches and trails are closed, and the Governors opener has been cancelled.
BUT, don't let that stop you from going fishing. The season is set to open on time, as planned.
Old 04-06-2020, 03:43 AM
Fork Horn

Illinois closed its state parks where many fishing lakes are located.
Old 04-07-2020, 01:48 PM
Dominant Buck

Did 100 pounds 2 days in a row. Perch are hungry and running big.
Old 04-07-2020, 02:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

That's awesome CI!!

I remember camping at Ausable Point with my family way back in the day, and going out fishing with my dad on Lake Champlain! That lake has probably every species of fish in it! There was always a rumor that salmon migrated down from Canada into Lake Champlain, but that was probably a tall tale from back when I was a kid.
Old 04-08-2020, 02:09 PM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by ButchA
That's awesome CI!!

I remember camping at Ausable Point with my family way back in the day, and going out fishing with my dad on Lake Champlain! That lake has probably every species of fish in it! There was always a rumor that salmon migrated down from Canada into Lake Champlain, but that was probably a tall tale from back when I was a kid.
That point is a little south of here on the NY side across from Burlington. Yes there is pretty much all freshwater native fish and a few invasive species to boot. The salmon that are in the lake are landlocked salmon similar to Atlantic salmon except they don't go to salt water. They do run up rivers to spawn and unlike the pacific salmon don't die after spawning. They have been in the lake since before Samuel D Champlain discovered the lake in 1609. There is historical evidence of the colonists filling wagons with salmon used for food. It is really a beautiful lake with many different parts due to it being 120 miles long. My avatar is a photo I took from my back deck.
A little slower fishing today got 80 pounds probably due to the wind which made it harder to feel the bite.

Last edited by Champlain Islander; 04-08-2020 at 02:14 PM.
Old 04-08-2020, 04:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks, CI... Some great history to the huge lake and all the assortment of fish. One of the greatest trips I remember taking quite a number of times back in the 80's was when I was stationed in Boston, MA during my USCG days and my folks still lived up in the Adirondack Mtns of New York. When you look at a map, it would seem kind of silly to take I-90 west to Albany and then I-87 north. Why not cut diagonally through NH and VT and come down into the Adirondacks that way? Made perfect sense...

Ha ha ha... I wonder if (back then) we passed by your house?

Leave suburbs of Boston, MA (US Coast Guard military housing units).
I-93 north into NH.
I-93 to I-89 in Concord, NH.
I-89 straight into VT.
Somewhere north of Burlington, take the exit for Route 2.
Route 2 over the bridge(s) over Lake Champlain to South Hero Island.
Route 2 veers north over more bridges to North Hero Island.
Route 2 continues north and goes over the last and final bridge, turning into Route 11 in Rouses Point, New York.
Take Route 11 westward to Malone, NY and either take Route 30 south or 11B south to final destination (my parents house).

Getting back on topic, I loved crossing over Lake Champlain back then. Everywhere you looked was a fishing boat in someone's yard, and marinas and more marinas all over the place. Beautiful area!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.