Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Freshwater Fishing
Best cold weather clothing recommendations. >

Best cold weather clothing recommendations.

Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Best cold weather clothing recommendations.

Old 12-18-2019, 02:24 AM
Spike

Default Best cold weather clothing recommendations.

My winter ice fishing bibs and other clothing is in bad shape. I want to buy the best cold weather clothing I can get. I have heard that Under Armour is really good stuff but it is really pricey. I don't mind spending the money but I want to be sure it's worth the money. I want to replace my CAT winter boots also. The CAT boots are comfortable but I've found they are not the best for keeping your feet warm. I would like to find some boots that are as good as my old "moon boots" I used to wear all the time. Do any of you remember these kinds of boots? Any one find any boots that are better at keeping your feet warm as the old moon boots?

Any really good cold weather stuff that you guys can recommend? I also want one of those full face and neck type stocking caps but I don't know who makes them.

I am not a hunter so I don't care about anything being camo. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-18-2019, 08:49 AM
Dominant Buck

I ice fish just about every day from mid to late December until ice out which normally comes first or second week in April. My choice in clothing is striker climate bibs and jacket. They are warm with a removable liner in both bibs and coat. I wear a quilted shirt under the coat and just insulated long underwear under the bibs. Wind proof with plenty of pockets and the suit floats as a safety measure. The negatives is they weigh quite a bit and are expensive. I wouldn't ice fish without a flotation suit. My boots are muck arctic pro and creepers are kahtoola micro spikes. I use a baseball cap with visor and pull on a fleece hat and neck warmer. When really cold I do have a full head and neck face mask. I might check out the youper chook hat I have been seeing on tv lately. It is fleece and had a built in face mask. The boots keep me warm with the heavy darn tough hiker socks. Not as warm as the old military Mickey mouse boots but are smaller and less bulky which works out better using the creepers. The mucks are warm enough for me and my feet don't get cold in them.

Last edited by Champlain Islander; 12-18-2019 at 02:40 PM.
Old 12-27-2019, 12:25 AM
Spike

I have owned a lot of Cabela's stuff, some of which I liked and some I didn't. I am looking for personal recommendations not magazine/catalog ratings. I am always under the impression that who ever pays the most for advertising will likely get the best ratings on everything.

Thanks for the info on Under Armour, I didn't realize their stuff was compression clothing. I do not like tight fitting clothing so Under Armour is out for me.

My brother also recommended Sorel boots so I will check them out for sure.

Thanks so far for the info.