HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Freshwater Fishing (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/freshwater-fishing-21/)
-   -   Off the crappie and on the channel cat (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/freshwater-fishing/418505-off-crappie-channel-cat.html)

rockport 07-10-2018 07:48 AM

Off the crappie and on the channel cat

After loading the freezer with crappie this spring we have moved on to channel cat for the summer. A lot of people say eat the little ones but I prefer to eat the bigger ones. If you want good eating catfish you have to remove ALL of the red meat and once you do that on a small fish there is not much left.

Champlain Islander 07-10-2018 01:37 PM

MMMM catfish some of the best eating especially if you are in New Orleans. Nice going Rocky.

rockport 07-10-2018 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander (Post 4338084)
MMMM catfish some of the best eating especially if you are in New Orleans. Nice going Rocky.

Yeah, maybe my favorite once the red meat is removed.

Champlain Islander 07-13-2018 02:43 PM

Took my wife out this morning and we caught a limit of crappie then went after some big seeds. The crappie were nice but not monsters. We probably caught between 75 and 100 but let most of the smaller ones less than 10" go. She had a good time.

rockport 07-18-2018 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander (Post 4338221)
Took my wife out this morning and we caught a limit of crappie then went after some big seeds. The crappie were nice but not monsters. We probably caught between 75 and 100 but let most of the smaller ones less than 10" go. She had a good time.

My wife and daughter both prefer crappie fishing because of the numbers of fish even though they both love it when they hook a big ole catfish.

My daughter got selected for the local 10u select traveling softball team last weekend so that is gonna really cut into our fishing time I think.

Champlain Islander 07-19-2018 04:22 AM

Best of luck with the softball rocky. I am off the water for a few days had an untimely death of a 24 year old nephew last week.

rockport 07-19-2018 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander (Post 4338543)
Best of luck with the softball rocky. I am off the water for a few days had an untimely death of a 24 year old nephew last week.

Oh man I'm sorry to hear that.

Champlain Islander 07-19-2018 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by rockport (Post 4338562)
Oh man I'm sorry to hear that.

Yup so sad...opiate epidemic. I just don't get what those kids are thinking.

Phil from Maine 07-19-2018 03:59 PM

I am very sorry to hear that as well C.I. .. It is so sad to see and hear about all the young people dying from this crap everywhere. Here the police have Narcan which has saved quite a few. But they have to get to them in time. I wish to send along my condolences to the family and friends.

Chuck7 07-11-2019 10:36 AM

Crappie....Floridians call them specks are our best tasting freshwater fish..not crazy about the catfish,,