Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

2018 crappie spawn

Old 05-13-2018, 04:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Another pretty good morning this morning. Mostly females now and the big fish are getting further and fewer between.

Last edited by rockport; 05-14-2018 at 04:35 AM.
Old 05-21-2018, 06:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Found fish still spawning on the far south end of the lake Sunday and cleaned house. Must have caught over 250 crappie..Kept 45

Crappie for breakfast this morning

Last edited by rockport; 05-21-2018 at 07:04 AM.
Old 05-21-2018, 01:30 PM
Dominant Buck

Nice going on the crappie. I got a few today too but was actually targeting sunnies and gills. The crappies were a pleasant surprise.
Old 05-23-2018, 08:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander View Post
Nice going on the crappie. I got a few today too but was actually targeting sunnies and gills. The crappies were a pleasant surprise.
The bluegill are fixing to start making beds here. Wife loves them.

We had another good morning yesterday. Brought home another 38 nice ones and its always good to have 3 generations in the boat. We're catching a ton of fish now but not finding anything over about 13 inches. These two 13 inchers were tanks though. Big colored up males, unfortunately after I put them on ice and brought them home they lost most of their color before I got a picture.

Last edited by rockport; 05-23-2018 at 09:07 AM.
Old 05-23-2018, 02:27 PM
Dominant Buck

Yup those are some nice looking slabs Rocky. I went out for the morning in a backwater and got around 60 pounds of seeds and gills. Did get some big ones but only 1 keeper Crappie which was 12" and around a pound. Nice day and saw a ton of turtles most sunning on logs.
Old 05-24-2018, 05:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yup those are some nice looking slabs Rocky. I went out for the morning in a backwater and got around 60 pounds of seeds and gills. Did get some big ones but only 1 keeper Crappie which was 12" and around a pound. Nice day and saw a ton of turtles most sunning on logs.
Thats a lot of fish to clean. My wife loves the gills but I hate cleaning them. I do it but not without some whining.
Old 05-24-2018, 02:36 PM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by rockport View Post
Thats a lot of fish to clean. My wife loves the gills but I hate cleaning them. I do it but not without some whining.
I don't clean them they all go to a fish broker who fillets them or ships them out whole depending on his market. I did about the same again today and had 8 keeper crappie as a bonus but caught at least 40 others that were too small to keep. I switch up from sunnie bait to crappie rubber and they bit about every cast. Must have been a pod of them that moved into the creek. A couple were pushing a pound and a half. I have a buddy who went fishing in south Lake Champlain yesterday and kept his limit of 25 and had 3 that were around 2 pounds.

Last edited by Champlain Islander; 05-25-2018 at 05:55 AM.
Old 05-25-2018, 09:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't clean them they all go to a fish broker who fillets them or ships them out whole depending on his market. I did about the same again today and had 8 keeper crappie as a bonus but caught at least 40 others that were too small to keep. I switch up from sunnie bait to crappie rubber and they bit about every cast. Must have been a pod of them that moved into the creek. A couple were pushing a pound and a half. I have a buddy who went fishing in south Lake Champlain yesterday and kept his limit of 25 and had 3 that were around 2 pounds.
Nice, they must be starting to spawn up there.

I cleaned another 32 this morning.

My daughter got her best of the year so far this morning

Last edited by rockport; 05-25-2018 at 10:07 AM.