Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Ice Fishing

Old 01-03-2018, 11:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I sure wish we had them yellow perch here...That is some good eating.
Old 01-05-2018, 03:59 AM
Dominant Buck

Yes they are and I eat a lot of fish but mostly ocean catch which I also do. My freezer has about 100 pounds of cod, haddock, Alaska salmon, Alaska halibut and my favorite north Atlantic pollock.
Old 01-06-2018, 04:09 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by rockport
I sure wish we had them yellow perch here...That is some good eating.
They are good eating. Just like candy. I prefer them over walleye. I finally have so time and going out to catch a feed today.

I would trade perch for wild hog -something we dont have up this way.
Old 01-06-2018, 07:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muskyhunter1
They are good eating. Just like candy. I prefer them over walleye. I finally have so time and going out to catch a feed today.

I would trade perch for wild hog -something we dont have up this way.
If we had wild hog I'd be all over that.
Old 01-06-2018, 08:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander
Yes they are and I eat a lot of fish but mostly ocean catch which I also do. My freezer has about 100 pounds of cod, haddock, Alaska salmon, Alaska halibut and my favorite north Atlantic pollock.
That Alaska Halibut is some good stuff to.

Crappie is what I eat the most here. We also eat catfish and Buffalo and we'll eat gills when they spawn and I can get into a bunch of big ones.

I actually really like buffalo, its one that I don't catch. I buy some from the locals that run nets.
Old 01-06-2018, 09:05 AM
Dominant Buck

I like crappie too...who wouldn't. God's way to make a warm water fish just as pretty as a trout. Don't know what buffalo is... a type of carp?
Old 01-06-2018, 09:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander
I like crappie too...who wouldn't. God's way to make a warm water fish just as pretty as a trout. Don't know what buffalo is... a type of carp?
Yeah, looks about like common carp but much better eating. Its a hit or miss fish. Big farm raised buffalo from the chain markets are not so good but getting it here from the locals I really like it. Smaller never frozen. It has to be scored because of the bones so its really crispy with the breading getting down in the score cuts. Pretty good stuff if your ever this way and see it on a daily special menu at a restaurant. A lot of little river town restaurants will have it one day a week when they can buy it fresh from the local commercial fisherman. Its pretty rare to catch one on rod and real.

Looks like this
https://s3-media2.fl.yelpcdn.com/bph...rCZhYmQ/ls.jpg
Old 01-06-2018, 11:59 AM
Dominant Buck

Looks good Rocky. I love fish and those do look good. Had some halibut last night baked with some peach mango salsa on top. Pretty tasty.
Old 01-06-2018, 01:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ice fishing always reminds me of my buddy that passed away (same guy I leased all the land from) during the late doe seasons we would take a big popup deer blind out on a farm pond and take our fishing stuff and shotguns. What a blast sitting there pulling 14" crappie out the ice while waiting for the deer to show up.
Old 01-06-2018, 01:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

I used to fish in a flooded stone quarry that had huge yellow perch, blue gills and LM bass in it. when you get a perch 14 or 15 inches long it gives some really nice fillets.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.