Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Freshwater Fishing
Thinking of a different fishing boat. >

Thinking of a different fishing boat.

Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Thinking of a different fishing boat.

Old 10-31-2017, 11:52 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Thinking of a different fishing boat.

Anyone have any experience with Alumacraft? I am presently fishing out of a small 16 foot Lund with a 25 horse 4 stroke motor and might want to step up a bit bigger in both size and motor next year. I fish mostly pan fish on a very big lake so a larger 16 to 18 foot boat would be a better fit. The Alumacraft boats look pretty nice to me right now.
Old 11-01-2017, 04:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

My father has had one for the past 20 years.

He likes it, 18' Tiller with a 60 Merc. (piece of junk motor). Its altogether been a good boat.
I'm partial to Lowe boats, myself.
Old 11-04-2017, 06:04 AM
Dominant Buck

I like side console boats and my current boat is a 1600 Lund Fury which is fine but under powered with all the equipment I have mounted and carry. I have a nice Humminbird fish finder with the normal sonar features including side scan. My electric trolling motor is a 12V Minn Kota Power Drive V2 55 pounds thrust. I want to upgrade to an 80 pound thrust 24V Minn Kota Terrova with ipilot/ spot lock and an integrated transducer for an additional fish finder for the bow. I figure an upgrade in boat to accomplish this would work best. My existing Lund is 6 years old and has served me well since I bought it new but since I spend so much time in a boat I would like to equip another more in line with my needs. The local Alumacraft dealer sells Evinrude motors so if I go that way I would be owning one of the new etec motors. My past experience with Evinrude wasn't that good but I understand the new etec motors are the next generation of what future outboards will become. Less weight with more power and less emissions. So many decisions. Going to the boat shows this winter will probably make up my mind after being able to sit in all the model boats that I could consider. In addition to my Lund I own a 20 foot Glastron V6 I/O, a Crestliner 12' jon boat, a Colemon 15' canoe and 2 Dagger 14' kayaks so I have plenty of tools to enjoy the water. All but the Lund is put away for the season and I'll winterize and cover that one by early next week just in time for our Vt rifle season.
Old 12-17-2017, 05:12 PM
Spike

Father in law has a 17 foot Alumnacraft from 1989. All original, garage kept, original carpet, all he's ever did was change plugs and water pump. 90HP evinrude. Runs like a champ. If his has lasted that long I'm positive they're made very well.
Old 03-21-2018, 09:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

I went with a seaark
Old 03-21-2018, 12:38 PM
Fork Horn

I own a Lund myself, 2075 Tyee with 250 Verado and 15 kicker...that said, i would not be hesitant to go to Alumacraft, or Evinrude, as long as there is a dealer close to where you use boat that you trust to service them. I believe some Evinrudes even have a 10 year warranty, very nice. Our Lund is aluminum, next boat will be glass though, out here at Ft. Peck, i have had the opportunity to be out on quite a few boats, and the glass boats do ride better, but then again, I really do not want to be out on the lake when it is that rough anyways, LOL.
Old 03-21-2018, 03:46 PM
Dominant Buck

Glass does ride better in rough water. I own both a glass boat (Glastron with an IO) and the Lund with a 4 stroke outboard. Glass on a family boat works well for us but a tin boat used for strictly fishing is the way to go. I most often fish alone which means trailering. I often launch and retrieve at small accesses without a dock which means when the boat is backed into the water and then pulled into shore on the beach to allow me to park the truck. In and out from sandy and rocky shores does a number on a glass hull. With a tin boat small scrapes and dings are normal.
Old 03-21-2018, 04:54 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have an old Corson that is fiberglass. I love the old boat and had to rebuild the seats in it. It is only 14 feet that when I got it I didn’t like old 35 Yamaha motor that was on it. So I put on a new 60 horse Yamaha with a high thrust lower unit. I really enjoy that set up. I ordered my motor of from I- Boats and saved roughly 2 grand getting it that way.My biggest lake is West Grand that I fish in here. That’s not as big as the lake you fish in C. I. But it is still quite a big lake that will give quite a chop. The white caps can be almost like the ocean here. I also took it into saltwater a few times. My wife and I took a ride across a big whirlpool called the Old Sow. We didn’t know where it was until it was to late. We found out and never again will we go over that again. But then again when I was fishing down that way I saw fish jumping that was bigger than my boat. After that I decided I didn’t want to go out there with that boat anymore.
Old 04-19-2018, 10:03 AM
Spike

I wish there were more 17-18ft bass boats .
Old 05-04-2018, 08:05 PM
Spike

No I don't have experience with Alumacraft. Fishing the Lodge at Mag Bay was one of the greatest experiences of my life. The fishing was absolutely phenomenal, but the entire experience was just fun and adventurous. The food was great, the staff friendly and fun, and an all around great time!