Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Freshwater Fishing
Fishing line leader poundage >

Fishing line leader poundage

Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Fishing line leader poundage

Old 04-10-2017, 01:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Fishing line leader poundage

For those of you who fish with fluorocarbon or monofilament leaders tied to your braid lines.....what pound test do you use for your leaders?

I was sold 8 lb test, but fishing buddies all tell me that is too light.

Part of me agrees, and another part of me thinks if drag is set properly then it should be fine.

Freshwater fishing.
Old 04-10-2017, 01:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Leaders are used in either two ways. 1. Is the be abrasion resistant if fishing toothy critters or fishing around structure. 2. To minimize line visibility normally with fluorocarbon leader.

Under the 1st scenario it depends on what you are fishing for and where. If your using 8-10lb line then a 20-30lb leader usually does the trick. Never go lighter than line rating spooled on reel. Latter scenario you can use spooled line rating or a little over. This is where line resistance isn't in play but needin to get easily spooked fish to hit and not see your line.
Old 04-11-2017, 02:38 AM
Dominant Buck

When using braid I normally use a mono leader that matches what I am trying to catch. If I am looking for deep water pan fish the leader will be either 6 or 8 pound test. If I am trying to catch cod, haddock or pollock in the ocean the leader is 50 pound mono on 65 or 80 pound power pro. Normally unless I am fishing in very deep water I don't use braid or need a leader. Shallow water pan fish I use either 4 or 6 pound straight mono. I seldom mess around with fluorocarbon line.
Old 04-11-2017, 04:51 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander
When using braid I normally use a mono leader that matches what I am trying to catch. If I am looking for deep water pan fish the leader will be either 6 or 8 pound test.
Totally agree, for panfish I use 6-8lb test. I sometimes go as low as 4lb but if your fishing around structure or catch something a bit bigger with more fight than you intended there is more risk of snapping a thin 4lb line. When I go fishing for channel cats about 10lb line is sufficient. Bullheads if your using bluegill for bait I usually go 20lb. Good luck
Old 04-11-2017, 05:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

I usually Bass fish and my next tournament is in tidal waters fishing cypress trees, boat docks and rocky river bottoms. I'll feel a little better using something stronger than 8 lb leader line, so it is back to the store for me.

Never used leaders before. I like the fact that it provides less visibility and thus a more realistic look to otherwise weary fish who have had a good amount of lures thrown at them.
Old 04-11-2017, 08:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Then I would suggest tying line to line, don't use any swivels.
Old 04-11-2017, 09:14 AM
Dominant Buck

When joining braid to mono I normally use an improved albright knot. Joining similar sized lines a uni to uni works or a blood knot. I fish more than most, probably north of 160 days a year. For most of my fresh water fishing I use Trilene Sensation in believe it or not solar which is a chartreuse color. Flat fish are 4 pound and perch are 6 pound and larger like bull head and white perch 8 pound. I never had the color of the line bother my fish but is much easier to see and detect subtle bites like from Crappie. If I thought using floro would improve my catch I would go that way. I just never found it necessary other than possibly as a fly fishing leader on a crystal clear trout stream. A good rod and reel goes a long way to dealing with non targeted larger fish like sheepshead, bowfin, bass and pike on lite line.
Old 04-11-2017, 11:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Then I would suggest tying line to line, don't use any swivels.
I plan on using the double uni knot.
Old 04-11-2017, 12:45 PM
Dominant Buck

Good knot and pretty easy to tie.