HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Freshwater Fishing (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/freshwater-fishing-21/)
-   -   Whos Ready? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/freshwater-fishing/411042-whos-ready.html)

jrbsr 12-31-2016 03:10 PM

Whos Ready?

Whos ready for Spring Bass?

Champlain Islander 01-05-2017 05:35 AM

Winter hard water panfish is just starting. Got to get through that first.:)

grinder67 01-05-2017 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander (Post 4288579)
Winter hard water panfish is just starting. Got to get through that first.:)

agreed! and then spring open water pan fish! no time for bass for me

flags 01-05-2017 08:55 AM

Not me. Busy catching winter trout.

Champlain Islander 01-05-2017 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by grinder67 (Post 4288602)
agreed! and then spring open water pan fish! no time for bass for me

The bass I catch through the ice and spring open water are just the by product catches when chasing pan fish. I live on a world renown bass fishery and could care less about them. I can catch up to 20 inch smallies right off my dock using topwater all summer. I would rather catch a 100 pound cooler of yellow perch or a couple buckets of sunnies and seeds. I fish them all year. Flags, I used to fish for trout and salmon back when I had a boat that was equipped with downriggers and then got bored with it and bought a Nitro bass boat. Did that for a while and now back where I started fishing for pan fish out of my Lund. There must be something to that because I have plenty of company.

Champlain Islander 01-10-2017 01:33 PM

Had a good day although there were high wind warnings with 60 mph gusts coming tonight. Took the wheeler out for the first time this year and have been hoofing it the mile plus to the reefs so that gave me a bit of a break. Caught about 70 pounds of nice lake perch today.

Bocajnala 02-07-2017 02:22 AM

You do allot of fishing CI... Mostly catch and release? Or do you just eat a ton of fish?
-Jake

Topgun 3006 02-07-2017 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by Bocajnala (Post 4293427)
You do allot of fishing CI... Mostly catch and release? Or do you just eat a ton of fish?
-Jake

I believe he sells most of what he catches through the ice.

Outdoorlivin 02-07-2017 10:27 AM

Kill a turkey in the morning and catch a bass in the evening

Champlain Islander 02-11-2017 01:58 AM

Originally Posted by Bocajnala (Post 4293427)
-Jake

As TG noted I sell my unprocessed catch out of the bucket/ cooler per pound to a local fish broker. I go ocean fishing a few times a year and eat fish about once a week and it is always cod, haddock or pollock from the north Atlantic. My last trip resulted in 200 pounds of fillets so I have plenty and the season starts again around the beginning of next May. Occasionally I'll dress off a bunch of perch, crappie or bluegills for a fresh water meal.