HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Freshwater Fishing (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/freshwater-fishing-21/)
-   -   National Fishing License??? Good/Bad Idea? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/freshwater-fishing/405406-national-fishing-license-good-bad-idea.html)

skiftcky 03-18-2016 12:55 PM

National Fishing License??? Good/Bad Idea?

So here are my thoughts. I just got my CDL which, if I go OTR, will take up a lot of my spring/summer/fall fishing time. I was thinking about a national fishing license for those who travel ie. Truck Drivers, RVers, Business Travelers, and any one else who finds themselves out and about on a regular basis. Personally I would pay about 50-60 bucks to be able to do this. Say they charged $55... $1.10 would go to each individual state, $5 to fed gov for the program, grants, habitat, etc. if 1 million people got the license (just a round number, Im sure it will be a lot more) each state would get $1.1 Million annually and the fed would get $5 Million.
Yes/No/Maybe? Thoughts?

Chuck7 03-18-2016 01:01 PM

If it's anything to do with the Federal government..NO!! just more red tape control

Tufrthnails 03-18-2016 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Chuck7 (Post 4250769)
If it's anything to do with the Federal government..NO!! just more red tape control

This is my first thought my second is $55 wouldn't be a drop in the bucket for Florida compared to the price of and out of state license. I don't think the states would go for that. I mean honestly if I could get a nation wide license for basically twice what my resident state license is I think I would have a goal of catching a fish in every state. I already got a hand full marked off that list.

Oldtimr 03-18-2016 01:35 PM

Who would administer such a license, who would get the money, the feds? How would it be divided up, who would do the enforcement? The laws of all 50 states differ tremendously, some have stamps for certain species, some don't. There is a valid reason the states handle their own business and manage their own wildlife. $50.00 or $60.00 to fish the entire US, a dollar ten to each state! Is this some kind of joke or just a wish upon a star for cheapskates? This is an idea whose time will never come, stupid at best, insane at worst! I can't believe anyone would think it is a good idea.

olsaltydog 03-18-2016 02:45 PM

First no, second there is already a Federal Law in place that requires a fishing license at least for saltwater. The reason the Feds have not implemented their own is because most states already put one in place and the Feds accepted each states license system as adequate. Second 55 is nothing and would make darn near every program in the nation broke. NC annual resident license is 15 last I checked (I have a lifetime) which would bring in much more then that alone.

olsaltydog 03-18-2016 02:49 PM

As I said above no but the poll questions does not reflect the reason why, I already fish NC, SC, VA, FL, and LA on a annual basis and have no issues.

kidoggy 03-19-2016 03:22 AM

I expect it would be good for the fisherman (in the short term) and a disaster for the states.
by short term ,I mean that as revenue decreases, so eventually would opportunity

I did not vote in poll. as first thought it would be nice to fish for less but with a lil rational thought it would not be so great.leave the power in the states, screw the feds.

MaineRida 03-26-2016 08:31 AM

I agree with keeping the feds out of the administration on any project. The result of federal intrusion would be our taxes rising by a billion dollars so they could implement the program (and have another fund to skim off from and corrupt). The states have the support structure in place, let's leave well enough alone....

Oldtimr 03-26-2016 12:16 PM

I don't know about the west coast but the east coast in the Atlantic and tributaries there already is a salt water federal fishing license.

olsaltydog 03-26-2016 02:39 PM

What Federal License would that be, there are permits/tags for certain species (bluefin, marlin, etc.) that the NOAA require but no license that I have ever heard of.