Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Freshwater Fishing
National Fishing License??? Good/Bad Idea? >

National Fishing License??? Good/Bad Idea?

Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.
View Poll Results: Would a national fishing license be a good thing?
Yes, A national fishing license would be awesome
11.11%
No, I don't care about being able to fish wherever I want
33.33%
Maybe a good idea, need more input on the matter
55.56%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

National Fishing License??? Good/Bad Idea?

Old 03-26-2016, 03:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

In 2010, the National Marine Fisheries Service (NMFS) mandated all recreational anglers fishing in coastal
waters to complete a National Saltwater Angler Registry. The registry serves as a national "phone book," which
helps NMFS quickly and easily reach current fisherman to learn about their most recent fishing activities. In
2011, NMFS instituted a $15.00 registration fee. Also in 2011, legislation modified MD law to comply with the
National Saltwater Angler Registry so that Maryland anglers would be exempt from paying the NMFS
registration fee. Because of the changes, MD now has a cooperative agreement with the NMFS and Maryland
licensed or registered angler's are automatically included in this national "phone book" of the National Saltwater
Angler Registry. The information collected will help to develop better estimates of recreational fish harvest, and
will help ensure that fishing rules are based on sound science. For more details about the National Saltwater
Angler Registry, visit NMFS’s website at www.countmyfish.noaa.gov/faq_registry.html

Some states have entered into an agreement with the Feds to make it not necessary to purchase the registry for $15.00 but it is still in effect.
Old 03-27-2016, 04:45 AM
Dominant Buck

I have my doubts that a national license would work out. Too many states with different ways to do things and some small ones like here needing all the money they can get. I doubt money would be collected and doled out into 50 parts equally. New York with millions of people vs neighboring Vermont with 600K+. It would probably be set up on population or total license sales then split based on that. Small states would lose money not to mention the different ways states deal with fish and wildlife laws. The ocean license is kind of funny. You need one to fish in your own boat or from shore I think and if you go out on a commercial boat they cover you.
Old 03-27-2016, 05:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

The Feds are already involved in too many things. I see no reason to add anything to the mix. Besides if they did implement a license all that would do is increase taxes because the process would have to be funded somehow.

Additionally anyone can already fish anywhere they want, just buy the appropriate state license and have at it.
Old 03-27-2016, 05:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

CI, that is because the boat owner has paid for the federal registration, the boat an all in it are covered. The same on the Chesapeake, even recreational fishermen can get a saltwater license and Federal saltwater registration for the boat, then anyone is covered. If a friend is visiting and they take them fishing they don't have to buy anything for a day on the water. I agree Flags, besides most states have a tourist or 2 or 3 day license for non residents that are drastically less than a non resident license.
Old 03-27-2016, 07:01 AM
Dominant Buck

I get out on the ocean on the average of 2 to 6 days a year. I always charter so am covered under that regulation and boat license. Is that ocean license in all states now? At one point a few years ago I was aware that some places mandated a license to fish saltwater and other states didn't sign on. I know I had to get one 2 years ago when I was in the Fla keys and rented a boat to fish the gulf. If it is a fed rule then it must be all over now. East and west coast?
Old 03-27-2016, 07:16 AM
Boone & Crockett

I don't know if it covers both coasts, but sine it is a national program I have to believe it does. MD already had a saltwater license when the federal registration law was passed and eventually they worked out a MOU with the feds that allowed them to include the fee in their license and I suppose send the money to the Feds. MD went this way because there are so many casual fishermen who fish salt water once or twice a year and weren't aware they needed a federal registration number. The feds this supposedly to get info for the NMFS for management of salt water species similar to the federal fee for migratory bird hunting. However, I still have to wonder where the money goes.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 03-27-2016 at 07:19 AM.
Old 03-27-2016, 04:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

OT, the registration is not a license. If would have implemented a license but all states passed a licensing program so that the Feds would not. The registration applies to all states that have SW fishing. Guides, piers, and anything else that takes someone else out purchases a blanket license that covers the anglers they have with them.

These are two different things being discussed.
Old 03-27-2016, 06:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

Salty, potato, potahto, registration, license, when you have to pay for it, what it is called is just semantics. When it first came out, it was a separate fee, now it is incorporated in the state's salt water license. I know what the OP was talking about was a national freshwater license, I just mentioned the feds had a head start.