Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Freshwater Fishing
Favorite trout spinner? >

Favorite trout spinner?

Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Favorite trout spinner?

Old 06-18-2014, 08:20 AM
Fork Horn

Default Favorite trout spinner?

I fish the Sierra Nevada's, mostly in streams and small high lakes. What would you folks suggest for a favorite spinner or small plastic bait? Thanks...
Old 06-18-2014, 08:25 AM
Typical Buck

It you're not fly fishing (even the Sierra bubble and fly) use small Panther Martins of many colors. I like to start with the black ones, then migrate towards the trout colored ones.

You're in the area I cut my trout fishing teeth on. Never overlook a stream because it is too small. They are in there.

You need to go to a very small nymph or wet fly on a bubble. Use 4# test. You'll thank me.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:16 AM
Typical Buck

I use Joe's flies number 8 size 2 spinner blade. Like royal coachman and Potomac choachman pattern. A white roaster tail always works to. Some times bright colors work a did good this year on a all purple joe flie.
Old 06-18-2014, 01:10 PM
Dominant Buck

Panther Martin fly

It's a little gold spinner with an orange hackle.
Old 06-18-2014, 01:11 PM
Fork Horn

Look online for a lure called a Niti-1. I catch everything on them in Colorado.
Old 06-20-2014, 08:57 AM
Typical Buck

I haven't seriously trout fished in nearly 30yrs but for my sophomore year of highschool I went to a boarding school in the Rocky Mountains of New Mexico back in the mid 80s. The campus was at 8500ft and near the headwaters of the Pecos River, the river was only 10-20yds wide and rarely over waist deep where it flowed through the campus. About 5 miles downstream was a state fish hatchery so the local vicinity was always stocked regularly. The place was FULL of rainbows, german browns and even tiny little cutthroats. There were likewise several dammed up streams/impoundments on campus. Besides flyrods and handtied flies, I caught TONS of fish on Panther Martin's, even in the river in the larger pools! We tried Mepps, Mister Twister and other such lures and spinners but NOTHING produced like the Panther Martins! They are just a higher quality lure and work properly in nearly any condition.
Old 06-20-2014, 12:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

I enjoy trout fishing and I am almost done for the most part up here. As white perch fishing out of the boat beats getting attacked by insects. While I am not a big fan of panter martins as some sre to each there own. I do like my Mepps trouter kit with dressed lures. 2 of my favorites is a super duper and a cast master. Either one of these you can attach a small piece of artifical pork rind to it for added attention. That is even though they work great without it. Also in this area at least we have trout spinners that come in different colors and I like the copper/brass single blade while some preffer the 2 blade. I also like the pearl colored blades with either a black dot or the red dot on them. We use a snelled hook on back that you can bait with either a real worm or in your case a small rubber worm would work as well. You can attach a small streamer instead of a snelled hook... Any ways good luck to you. Yes, i do agree with the royal coachman being a great fly for brook fishing.. I have caught many trout using that fly although most in the dry fly form..
Old 06-25-2014, 01:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

MEPPS #00-#2 in silver, or brass. Silver for bright sunny days, brass for overcast days. These work on the streams I fish on. I've caught rainbows, browns, brookies, lakers, cutthroats, kokanees and even suckers on them.

If I don't toss a spinner I'll usually go with a jig in black, white, yellow or olive green from 1/32nd of an ounce to 1/4 ounce. Hop a jig along the bottom and trout can't resist it. Drifting it in current or suspending it under a float work as well.
Old 06-29-2014, 04:38 PM
Spike

roster tail or a mepps
Old 07-05-2014, 04:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Panther Martin.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.