Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Freshwater Fishing
Nice video on how to drop shot { Skeet Reese} >

Nice video on how to drop shot { Skeet Reese}

Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Nice video on how to drop shot { Skeet Reese}

Old 06-29-2013, 07:17 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Nice video on how to drop shot { Skeet Reese}

Hey ..I've always wanted to learn how to do this correctly...very simple...I learned something today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RFpdwWKa80
Old 07-02-2013, 11:02 AM
Typical Buck

I have been "resisting" the dropshot but my fishin bud really likes it after he spanked big fish in Feb on it at Pickwick a couple years ago. But he rarely throws it (or shall I say DID!) in the warmer months. But after this 6# brownie he caught on it last week at Pickwick under the "Super Moon", we both will be sharpening up on our skills with it this summer. It's really a great bait for smallies since they don't like the big, power fishing tactics typical of summer largemouth. And I suspect it'll help sway big largemouth that are hammered by pressure on my local lakes Pickwick and KY Lake.

I LOVE fishing the Silver Buddy and shakeyhead on my TN handled spinnin rods in the winter/early spring so it should be a natural progession to the dropshot for me.

Old 07-02-2013, 12:07 PM
Dominant Buck

I went out and tried it....i caught one dink....i can see where it might be a back up..but my other techniqes work to good to switch..

Yesterday on my second cast i boated a 4 pounder...in then i threw out a crankbait and got a 6 pounder..i was only out for 2 hours and 45 minutes..i probably used the drop shot for about one hour..

The bite is really weird..it's a very hard bite..not a tap tap but a solid YANK! Over all...not sold on it yet...but will try it a few more times...i got more bites using the Carolina Rig which is very similiar...the bait is elevated but it's moving.
Old 07-02-2013, 03:39 PM
Typical Buck

I've been doing it for years. While on a trip to CA recently, my buddy took me to his "hot bass spot." He used top waters, reaction baits and Texas rigged plastics. I drop shotted with Robo Worm's "Aaron's Magic" pattern worm, and out fished him 3 - 1. All were in the 2-3 # range.
Old 07-02-2013, 04:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Chuck7
I went out and tried it....i caught one dink....i can see where it might be a back up..but my other techniqes work to good to switch..

Yesterday on my second cast i boated a 4 pounder...in then i threw out a crankbait and got a 6 pounder..i was only out for 2 hours and 45 minutes..i probably used the drop shot for about one hour..

The bite is really weird..it's a very hard bite..not a tap tap but a solid YANK! Over all...not sold on it yet...but will try it a few more times...i got more bites using the Carolina Rig which is very similiar...the bait is elevated but it's moving.

Very interesting. I never have largemouth eat drop-shot hard. All of the Largemouth I catch are very undetectable. Often times, it will feel as if the weight is simply lifted off bottom or very light panfish tap.

I have had Smallmouth, on the other hand, rip drop-shot very hard.
Old 07-02-2013, 04:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by HatchieLuvr
I have been "resisting" the dropshot but my fishin bud really likes it after he spanked big fish in Feb on it at Pickwick a couple years ago. But he rarely throws it (or shall I say DID!) in the warmer months. But after this 6# brownie he caught on it last week at Pickwick under the "Super Moon", we both will be sharpening up on our skills with it this summer. It's really a great bait for smallies since they don't like the big, power fishing tactics typical of summer largemouth. And I suspect it'll help sway big largemouth that are hammered by pressure on my local lakes Pickwick and KY Lake.

I LOVE fishing the Silver Buddy and shakeyhead on my TN handled spinnin rods in the winter/early spring so it should be a natural progession to the dropshot for me.
You and I would fish well together, my all-time favorite bite of all lures is that of a blade bait. I have never had a single fishing lure that had caught so many different species of fish.
Old 07-02-2013, 04:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Chuck7
Hey ..I've always wanted to learn how to do this correctly...very simple...I learned something today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RFpdwWKa80

Chuck, video is spot on from what I know of drop-shotting. Not my most favored method, but very good for me during the spawn and when surface temps get 80* or more.
Old 07-04-2013, 07:23 AM
Dominant Buck

Thanks for the replies....i tried it...and not crazy about it..can't keep still long enough..although..with a gentle breeze you could drift two drop shot rods at one time...