Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Freshwater Fishing
No more 10 pound for worming!!} - ; >

No more 10 pound for worming!!} - ;

Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

No more 10 pound for worming!!} - ;

Old 06-03-2013, 04:42 AM
Dominant Buck

Default No more 10 pound for worming!!} - ;

Lost one of the biggest fish ever Sat. I was using my depth finder and could not find fish..bad side of the moon..I tried pitching..nothing. On the wa back to the truck I noticed a big fish 18 feet down in cave in a rock. { On my depth finder} ..then I saw about 7 more big fish..I had a nice Southeasternly wind blowing.. I positioned my jon to drift 2 worm rods..When I see the rod scooting across the boat rail I grab ..and set the hook.Have caught tons fishing like this..Meanwhile I'm chunking out a DD18 foot Bill Norman..I had already had about 6 {Somethings } pull my rod..they all turned out to be structure..

OK ..I'm drifting at a good pace as the wind is about 10 MPH. I'm always checking my drag..and according to most..I tend to set it more loose than most..hey 10 pound test..

Ok ..my rod starts moving across the rail..I drop the crankbait and expecting structure..{ But still wise} I pick it up easy to see if I can feel a fish. YES..I have a fish and she is moving moderately..Like I normally do I lower the rod..aim the tip at the bass and sweep back smartly to get a good hook set..FISH ON!! Set is perfect..but one small problem..I can't get the rod up..the fish is so strong and now moving faster than you would beleive..I'm wondering ..should I push the button..to late..the fish is so fast and pulling only against my reel at such speed..even though the drag is set good..she snaps the line.

this is so frustrating..estimation on my part..10 - 15 pounds..I went to Walmart and bought some new line 12 pound test..I may even start drifting with braid.Last years 10 pound was caught on 40 pound braid..

Guys I feel sick..this is my 3rd fish over 10 pounds and nothing to show for it..

Bummed ,

CHuck7
Old 06-03-2013, 06:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

Sorry to hear- I wish you better luck for next time around.

( almost catching is better then not? ....
Old 06-03-2013, 07:16 AM
Dominant Buck

Thanks..it's been my only true break off this entire year..I had one wrap me up ..put that has happened with braid as well..The 12 is much tougher..and if it breaks I'll go to 14..

Thanks Mr.Fish..the only other possiblities..I hooked a turtle once that weighed over 30 pounds..fought tough but tire quickly..but the initial fight is very similiar to a huge bass