HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Freshwater Fishing (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/freshwater-fishing-21/)
-   -   First boat questions. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/freshwater-fishing/381706-first-boat-questions.html)

BOYWONDER 05-22-2013 04:59 AM

First boat questions.

Looking at getting my first boat, but I don't know if I should go after a 14ft V-hull or a mod-v Jon boat. This boat would only be used for fishing. What are the pros and coins of each boat?

Thanks

Psylocide 05-22-2013 05:15 AM

I'd rather fish off a jon boat, they seem more stable in the water than most V-hulls I've fished in.

Not sure if that's much help though, just my opinion.

Chuck7 05-22-2013 07:07 AM

If your looking for a smooth ride ..V Bottom

If your looking for an all round fishing boat...Flat Bottom..more stable standing up when flipping....

Get an aluminum boat not fiberglass...
Fill it with water before buying..make sure it doesn't leak..
The better boats have thicker metal..
try and get one with a trailor

Think about this when buying a used one..

I bought the following new
G3 12 foot john 1000.00
trailor..elcheapo 900.00
Minn Kota 55 300.00
2 batteries 200.00 { Like having a spare ..also runs bilage pump and live well.{Live well is a homemade cooler}
seats 100.00
carpet and wood floor..100.00
Spare tire for trailor ..50.00

Total 2650.00

IF your over weight take note of the capacity weight...some are so flemsy that they will sink as soon as you sit in it.I shopped around alot..In my humble opinion the G3 is the best option for price ..I've had over 600 pounds in mine..

Phil from Maine 05-22-2013 09:30 AM

It also would depend on how big of a lake you plan on using it on. A flat bottom boat or similar is great for fishing in shallow waters with as well. But if you are on a big lake and the wind comes up a steep "V" bottom boat would be better. So a lot depends on what type of lake as well as how big or small the lake is. Also is the lake prone to windy conditions? ..

Good Luck with what ever you decide..

BOYWONDER 05-22-2013 10:02 AM

Small lakes only and do you think a 15hp 4 stroke will get me up on plain. I'm looking at an Alumacraft MV 1448 it weighs 285lbs.

Chuck7 05-22-2013 10:16 AM

Like Phil said..the water type is extremely important.

A 15 is more than enough..by yourself..could be too much. Myt son has a 15 Yamaha on a 12 foot.I drove it..It's freaky scarey..yes it will plane out big time..he does better if you can get some weight up front..The 15 will weigh just over 100 pounds..

Here's my son's G3 12 footer with a 15 Yamaha on it..planed out.

Phil from Maine 05-22-2013 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by BOYWONDER (Post 4058466)
Small lakes only and do you think a 15hp 4 stroke will get me up on plain. I'm looking at an Alumacraft MV 1448 it weighs 285lbs.

I think a 15 horse will be more than enough for it to plain out.. How much weight will be in it? My aluminum 14 foot boat with a 9.9 is great for 2 people to go out in. By myself it will move right along pretty darn quickly. It can be scary when I am shooting out around the point only to hit the wind head on.. But, most the lakes I am in up here are big lakes.. The wind can get pretty nasty from one side of the lake to the other.

That is what I like about my fiberglass 14 footer.. It is a heavey boat and will take that stuff on pretty darn well. But I also steer it with a console and have a much bigger motor on that one..

BOYWONDER 05-22-2013 08:07 PM

With all my gear and me probably add an extra 250lbs if I take a portable live well.

Phil from Maine 05-23-2013 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by BOYWONDER (Post 4058640)
With all my gear and me probably add an extra 250lbs if I take a portable live well.

If you can keep it up near the bow unless you have company traveling with you. Then keep back towards the center of the boat... I hope that you get to enjoy it!