Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Freshwater Fishing
Boated about 80% of my worm fish last Sat. >

Boated about 80% of my worm fish last Sat.

Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Boated about 80% of my worm fish last Sat.

Old 05-13-2013, 02:22 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Boated about 80% of my worm fish last Sat.

OK..been a very frustrating year..forgot how to set the hook LOL not really..not really a LOL situation.

Sat. I lost a big bass on my first toss..I then remember how my wife used to catch them.I can't remember her losing one bass on a rubber worm..The advice I got this week was to cross their eyes,..yeah right..I've been doing that..0-20 trying that..My wife barely would set the hook and she never lost any..

SO here's what I did Sat..and it worked..
A. when I feel a tap..decide quick ..which way is the fish swimming..let's say she is going west.

B. I follow the rod tip west with the fish until I'm ready to make my move.

THIS IS ACTUALLY NOTHING NEW..THE TECHNIQUE IS CALLED THE PULL SET

C. using the rod tip action as you feel the weight of the fish sweep your rod east..the exact opposite of the direction that the fish is going in..result..a hook going straight through the upper lip..as you feel the resistance I give a nice but not over powering thud to drive the hook..The fish does the rest as she doubles up on the rod blank..I went 8-11 last Sat. I was pitching ..casting is a little different.

D. My last bass was a 6 1/2 pounder.I had made a long cast on a sandbar..I felt the pick up...reeled in all the slack and on these I just sweep it good and steady over my head..hook went straight through the upper lip.

This one was just over 6 1/2 pounds..fought real hard..

Last edited by Chuck7; 05-13-2013 at 02:28 AM.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like a great day... thanks for sharing.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:11 AM
Dominant Buck

Thanks Sir,

When I consistantly do something wrong..I try to examine the problem and make adjustments. My wife used to sit with a book in one hand and boat bass in the other hand. I remember carefully cleaning out my boat last year and bumped a spinnerbait with my hand.The hook was embedded.It cost me 1200.00 to get the hook out.

Summary..it does not take as much pressure to set the hook as some may tell us..After thinking I decided many fish are lost because the hook is in the wrong position..when the angler trys and sets the hook..the reason I try to set the hook in the opposite direction that the fish is swimming in. SO now when I get a hit I don't get real nervous..I try to find out where the fish is and go from there..I believe many times I've simply pulled the worm right out of the fish's mouth. I tried other lures Sat. but to no prevail..the black worm has been the ticket..and when one watches the worm fall in the water it's no wonder..with a small split shot attached ..the trick worm wiggles slightly on both ends and takes it's time falling..my 7 foot rods no doubt is a much better choice for the sweeping motion..my hook set is very similiar to the Carolina Rig Hook Set..a good solid sweep that ends with a thud. When I feel the entire weight of the fish I add the thud...and then get ready for the tractor pulling, line stripping action of the hawg..{-;

Last edited by Chuck7; 05-13-2013 at 07:13 AM.
Old 05-15-2013, 11:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

good feeesh Chuck, BTW, got the text, phone working good
Old 05-16-2013, 02:22 AM
Dominant Buck

Thanks sir..i changed from TMobile to Verison..i love the change...you and Gangly are on my favorites...so it makes sharing pics easier.