Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Gettin Bigger

Old 04-22-2013, 04:37 PM
Dominant Buck

Default Gettin Bigger

My plan this evening was to drift the deep water..BUT after an hour of nothing appearing on the depth finder..I headed for the cat tails..just maybe they are spawning..Too bad i left my pitching and flipping rods home..}-; All i have is 10 pound test mono..Yikes..

and right off the bat I got a very good fish on..I pushed the button twice and hoped for the best..This ole girl weighed an even 8 pounds..I rushed to the shore and got an elderly man to take a picture..he was shaking so bad..the pics were not good..but that's ok LOL

and about 10 minutes later..maybe 5 min.I boated this 5 pounder

and about 3 this size..I also lost another nice one..wrapped me up in the cat tails..nothing I could do about that..God willing..I will be back tomorrow..

Last edited by Chuck7; 04-22-2013 at 04:50 PM.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:58 PM
Boone & Crockett

Looks like you are doing quite well there Chuck! Congrats on your success! I have not even been thinking about doing much fishing other than a day here and there on the brookies. I did go out 1 day last week and caught my limit with ice still laying on the banks. They were some pretty decent ones that I took up to a friend for him and his wife to enjoy. He had a bad accident just before Thanksgiving Day last fall. He was all stove up and still having a hard time of things. So I knew they like a good brook trout once and a while. He is a brook trout fishing man. He does not like setting in a boat though.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I can't look at these threads any more because I just want to get out there and get at 'em.

Of course, I mainly fish for walleye, but fishing is fishing.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:59 PM
Dominant Buck

Well ,,,I royally messed up this evening...hooked into an 8 plus....got her out in the middle..after a long fight..she busted for the shoreline and wrapped my 10 pound up and it broke.

Then I hooked into a bigger yet..could not turn the crank..line was stripping like crazy...up she rose totally out of the water and shook free...she would have gone around 9 pounds...what can I say..just glad I wasn't in a tournament
Old 04-24-2013, 05:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Man Chuck, you are definitely on them now, great job! I knew it would be just a matter of time before the big bertha's started showing up for you. Those fish sure look healthy too, awesome.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:46 AM
Dominant Buck

Lost a bigger one yesterday..I honestly think Sat.s may have gone the 13 I was looking for..

and yesterday's very close to 10..Man that is very frustrating to lose fish..I had just sharpened the hook..I think yesterday I was being disciplind by the Lord..I lost 14 out of 16 bass..that is one way he deals with me..not kidding...
Old 04-24-2013, 01:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

losing 14 out of 16 would definitely not be fun, but its fishing and it happens often enough. When I lose even 2 fish in a row, I switch colors and hooks and that usually corrects the missed fish issues.
Old 04-24-2013, 04:16 PM
Dominant Buck

I quickly sharpened the hook....most pros have a way of not allowing that fish to jump straight up..pne needs to quickly turn the rod sideways to steer the fish from making that jump..I can do it when it's close..but when the fish is 20 yds out..it's much harder
Old 04-26-2013, 03:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

good fish Chuck, there is no way i could fish in that kind of stuff with 10# line, i rarely go below 12 and thats just on a crankbait rod and hopefully in open water....time to get a broom handle and a well rope

stay on'em
Old 04-26-2013, 06:48 AM
Dominant Buck

LOL it's not as bad as it looks MT..I do carry a flipping rod with me.when I literally go into the structures I flip with 20pound power pro..Whe I drift open water I use 2 mono 10 pound rods..when I pitch to the outside of structure I pitch with 10 pound ..most of the guys in the local Bass Club use 10 pound..simply because you get more hits...I rarely lose one on 10 pound..I check the line often for strectch and weak spots...I just respooled 2 days ago.