HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Freshwater Fishing (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/freshwater-fishing-21/)
-   -   Do You Remember Your First Bass? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/freshwater-fishing/379999-do-you-remember-your-first-bass.html)

jrbsr 03-17-2013 07:46 PM

Do You Remember Your First Bass?

Do you remember your first bass?

I was 10 years old at a pond in South Carolina, that my uncle took me to.
I found a motor oil colored plastic worm on the ground, and put it on my hook.
Cast it out, and wham it hit like a freight train.
I was so scared I just walked up the bank until the bass was out of the water.
I thought if I reeled the bass in it would fall off.
That was my first bass.

O.K. do you remember your first bass?

Gangly 03-18-2013 05:43 AM

A smallsih bass caught on a rebel minnow if I remember correctly, but I am unsure. I know the first bass I ever caught that was of decent size was on a Bullfrog colored ZOOM Horny Toad. I tossed it to a laydown, snagged it in the tree for a second before it plopped down in the water, then wham-0, bass on. I WAS STOKED!!! I was in an ultra tiny jon boat and had my son with me who was about 4 or 5 at the time. I remember every time you set the hook you had to worry about the boat tipping over and takin on water, lol.

deerdust 03-18-2013 08:04 AM

Oh come on now. I'm supposed to remember that far back. lol I think my first fish was a blowfish or perch, but but I am sure there was a bass in there somewhere. This would be back in the mid 60's on Millers Pond and Silver Lake, in the Dover De area.

bubbinator 03-26-2013 09:15 PM

About 1970 arrived in Al from an assignment in Thailand with a Thai wife who lived for fishing. A friend of hers she met soon after told her about a large pond across from Dannelly Field, Montgomery, Al. Having no gear were went a bait shop on Mobile Hwy, bought rods/reels and bait/lures. The white haired old man who ran the place sold me a pack of Mann's Jelly Worms, Motor Oil w/ Orange tail and showed me how to rig it. We also bought the standard white styrofoam cheap ice chest for drinks and some ice. Off to the place we went. She was happy catching bream, which were plentiful. I was casting the worm around a submerged car body when I noticed my line moving away. I let it get tight and set the hook and Yee-Ha! When I finally gone that bass on the bank it was too big to fit in the cooler, which we emptied, the tail hung out. From what Iv'e caught over the years since 8#-9# would be my guess. Fishing sure has cost me lots of money since.

Chuck7 04-03-2013 02:02 PM

Yes ..it was in a farm pond in Maryland...We had just dug about 30 bushels of potatoes and I collected the night crawlers attached to the potato roots..The next day I rode my bike about 1 mile to Murray's Pond..a private pond in which I would sneak on..His bulls would chase you so it was always a risk..I never had a sound theology back then, BUT God always communicated with me..I had no reel on this antique rod..I just flung my bobber out there..the bobber buried in the murkey coffee and cream colored water and I took off running up the bank..I was so proud of this 14 inch two pound bass {Bathroom scales} that I gave as an offereing the rest of my night crawlers to God's fish,,I was so proud ...and the fish tasted great..I was hooked for life..My mom got me a subscription to Outdoor Life , Sports Afield and Field and Stream..I studied fishing all the time..This was not my first bass...but the first bass I remembered getting me so excited..I was raised in a VERY disfunctional family..STILL IS..and I would fish and hunt to get alone.I fished and hunted ALL year long. I would hunt for crows and ground hogs in the summer..Fishing was only good spring and summer ...Many times my step dad beat me till I bled..still have the emotinal scars.