Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Freshwater Fishing
Gonna try it again... >

Gonna try it again...

Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Gonna try it again...

Old 08-20-2012, 01:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Gonna try it again...

Well friends I am heading out shortly to give thos large bass another try.. Keep in mind that according to the locals as well as the Maine guides this lake does not have any sizeable smallmouths in it.. If I have any luck like yesterday and can bring a couple in it will be some nice. Just to have a few pics of these lunkers laying around those rock piles..

Wish me some luck on this one.. Although I am better prepaired today..
Old 08-20-2012, 01:55 AM
Dominant Buck

Don't believe in luck Sir Phil, but I do pray God's blessing on your fishing trip. Some would think God has bigger things on His mind. That is because they neither know Him or His Word. He knows every sparrow that hit's the ground and the amount of every hair on every head.

A couple of verses that support this thought..

" And whatsoever ye do, do it to the glory of God."

" In all thy ways acknowledge Him and he shall direct thy paths."

" Commit thy plans unto the Lord and He shall establish thy thoughts."

God's blessings my friend,
Chuck7
Old 08-20-2012, 05:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

I went out and tried it again today.. Not much to report on as it was a slow day. I still caught a few small smallmouths and largemouths. My biggest was a largemouth that was maybe 2lbs. I did wiegh a smallmouth that was just a tad over 1 lbs. I am calling it a 1lber. I will wait on posting a pic as I will give it another shot going after just smallmouths up into big lake this time. I will only be fishing for a few hours in the morning as I will need to get rested up for work tomorrow night..
Old 08-21-2012, 01:26 AM
Dominant Buck

Well, I had to practice what I preached yesterday morning...before I was to start my first day of school...I'm a morning person and get up at 4:30 am ..

I had just bought a Ryobi bench grinder a week ago from Home Depot. I wasn't happy with it..the thing vibrated so bad the light stopped working. I had lost a little black 3/16th nut that helps hold the wheel guards..

First , I ask the Lord to help me find the little black nut somewhere on my dirty outdoor shed floor. I swept a light over it and in less than 2 minutes Bingo! There it was.
I then proceeded to box it up. I had thrown away the manual and packing and the receipt.)-: not good. My prayer was ," Lord please give me favor with the folks at Home Depot."

It's now 6:30 am..school starts at 7:30. The lady said,"I need to get someone." ..still praying (-; in my heart......The lady says " Give him a refund, and place the grinder on the Mark Down Table." I said, Thankyou ma'am and thank you Jesus."

My first day of school was wonderful.

Phil, you caught fish my friend..and you don't have cancer..Life is wonderful...still hoping you catch that wall hanger.(-; Phil you will have one more serious moon. Phase where the bass will be in a butt kicking feeding frenzy....the last 3-4 days before the end of Aug. right before the full moon...Fish those days as much as possible...And mid day is an excellent time to catch them...most leave at that time...but the experts tell us most trophy bass are caught around lunch time...my best cranking has been around this time..I generally fish shoreline structure in the morning...and crank later....Before a new or full moon( except for the spawn..).I ALWAYS crank all day...I use a DD that quickly gets to the bottom and work that bottom erratically ..but kind of slow.I'm constantly cleaning clay off the plastic bill. I learned this from watching Paul Elias when he broke the Lake Falcon record a few years ago...it works. in three days weighed in 130 pounds...A new record for that lake.

Last edited by Chuck7; 08-21-2012 at 02:21 AM.
Old 08-22-2012, 03:27 AM
Boone & Crockett

I am not throwing in the towel as of yet my friend. I do have another 1lber to post I caught yesterday morning. I just couldn't break the 1 pouder mark.. I did catch about 10 small bass yesterday morning though. The wind picked up and I had to work last night. They are both smallmouths so when I get up this afternonn if I can get the time I will post them and move up into second on the smallmouths unless someone else has had any bass to add.. I jus think about those ones I never wieghed because of my scales being off so much.. They were not any big lunkers but would of boosted my wieght up quite a bit just the same..

Last edited by Phil from Maine; 08-23-2012 at 10:54 AM.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:45 AM
Dominant Buck

you will need a largemouth bigger than 2 pounds to post Phil..It's the 2 best fish..you probably already know that{ -;
Old 08-22-2012, 08:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Chuck7
you will need a largemouth bigger than 2 pounds to post Phil..It's the 2 best fish..you probably already know that{ -;
That I do Chuck, but what about smallmouths.. I think those 2 would push me up a little.. ??? I am fishing for them on my next outing as well I want to get a couple of heavey wieghts if I can. For now though those 2 little fellas will work some..

Pocomoonshine Lake smallmouth.. 1lb

St. Croix River Flowage smallmouth.. 1 lb. Notice how much darker the bass is from the flowage verses the lake??

Just one piece of structure that the flowage is full of..

Last edited by Phil from Maine; 08-23-2012 at 10:55 AM.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:03 AM
Dominant Buck

Yes sir...your on..
Old 08-23-2012, 01:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Smallmouth bass often change color when feeding aggressivly. If in shallow water and sand, smallmouth are often light in color. Although, when feeding, specifically in school and competition, smallmouth are known to nearly turn black.
Old 08-25-2012, 07:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

A lot of it here depends on the lake as well. Where that dark one was caught almost all bass are dark as it is the bottom. It is a flowage that at one time was used for log drives to get wood downstream to the mill. There is still a lot of old logs and stumps laying all over the bottom of it. Thus it gives up those real dark bass. The other bass came from a different lake which has a lot of hydrilla and rock piles that the bass feed around most of the year. This has a much lighter bottom which I think is why the bass are lighter.. I honestly can not say for sure one way or another.

I am off to try another lake that is only accessable by carry in. Which means I will be taking a canoe along with some of those frogs. It is stated to be full of bass. Mostly smallmouths, but I have heard someone say that there is now some largemouths as well. I hope to be finding out this afternoon..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.