HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Freshwater Fishing (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/freshwater-fishing-21/)
-   -   Pair of sixes takes the tourney today... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/freshwater-fishing/367097-pair-sixes-takes-tourney-today.html)

Chuck7 06-30-2012 07:25 AM

Pair of sixes takes the tourney today...

WOW!!! It was a nail biter...Thirty minutes into the game I check with Matt and Zack. Zack and I havn't had a bite..Matt has lost a 6 pounder on a 'Certain ' sandbar.

Zack and I decided to flip.Matt was drifting sandbars. At 8:00 I boated my first fish..a 2 1/2 pounder..This fellow here was looking for a Chuck roast.

15 minutes later..close beside this gator I got a good bite..I'm a yelling,Zack can here me from far away.."How much is it", says,Zack..."It weighs in at an even 6 pounds"says I.

I'm thinking I got this tourny in the bag. I now have 8 1/2 pounds .I ask Zack, "Catch any Zack?" To my surprize I hear,"Ya, I got a 4 1/2 and a 5 1/2 ." Oh crap! That's 10 pounds..I then flip my buttocks off...caught a dink, a 2 pounder and lost a good one in the thicket..

Touney is over at 11:00 ..At 10:30 my arm is going to fall off..I was heading to a secluded spot only known by me I think..very secret.On the way there I said.."Shoot,I'm going to crankbait this "Certain ' sandbar where Matt lost a 6 pounder this morning.".First cast...rod is bent..a good 4 to 5 pound is hooked..drag is too loose..fish comes unbottened..heartbreaker for sure..Next cast...dang..rod is bent over...and after a nerve racking fight..I boated my 2nd 6 pounder...
My next cast....I hooked into what looked like a 7 or an 8 ..I got her to the boat..she tarponed clean out of the water..hitting my net barely and ...swam away..:s7::violin:

Good game.
The crankbait was a Norman DD 14 Tennessee Shad.

flhunter91 06-30-2012 07:38 AM

Brought in Ten Pounds for Second

1 Attachment(s)
It was a great day of fishing. I boated 8 total fish with the biggest being 5 1/2 and the other 4 1/2. This is a picture of my 5 1/2 pounder. another close call to getting the win behind Chuck haha.

Chuck7 06-30-2012 07:44 AM

How did the Lightning Rod do for ya??
I only boated 5...and lost 3 very nice ones..I thought it was impossilbe to lose one on a crankbait..NOT!!

flhunter91 06-30-2012 07:47 AM

It worked great! I didn't miss a single fish with it. All my hook sets were great, right in the top jaw. I was very happy with it and the braid I was using.

Chuck7 06-30-2012 07:56 AM

GREAT!!!! You need to put a date in the picture of your 5 1/2 pounder and post it on the toruney thread..your 4 1/2 won't count because you don't have a pic..Sorry about that..

Sunday and Monday will be very good..I'm going Monday with Andrew's girlfriend with some shiners..

Phil from Maine 06-30-2012 08:13 AM

Congrats Guys! Nice pic of the gator as well. I think I would have a difficult time fishing with those gators watching my every move...LOL An even harder time if I was fishing from a Kayak or a canoe...

flhunter91 06-30-2012 08:13 AM

I'll get the date thing fixed. I'm thinking of going out tomorrow and just try to fish those bars. I avoid them every time because of the lack of experience and confidence fishing around them. I just want to get used to the different areas besides just some good shore line spots. Had a great time today though

Chuck7 06-30-2012 08:30 AM

Zack..if ya want..come on over ..right now and play some chess.

Appreciate the responde brother Phill...the gator was 30 inches from the boat...a small gator but still has teeth...and vise like jaws.

flhunter91 06-30-2012 08:34 AM

I would like to Chuck but my sister and my brother in law are coming into town tomorrow afternoon and my mom has a whole list of chores I need to get done to get the house in a more presentable shape haha. We definitely will get some chess time in though.

Chuck7 06-30-2012 08:37 AM

10-4 good buddy..Matt wants a different lake next week...which is understandable..are you up to fish another tourney next week..I"m sure it will be a Tenoroc lake.

Chuck7 06-30-2012 08:53 AM

I found out why I lost my big fish on the crankbait...check out the hooks..For now on I'll replace Norman hools with Gakagumi hooks..

flhunter91 06-30-2012 11:41 AM

I've never fished a Teneroc Lake before, but I could give it a try. Although I don't have a management permit, if you need one of those... I might do it depending on what I need.

Chuck7 06-30-2012 11:55 AM

Tenoroc is off of Combee road...it's open from 6 am -7:30 pm. Friday - Monday

Without a management stamp it would cost you 3.00

There are about 20 different lakes ranging from the size in which we fish to a small pond.
They are catch and release..they are mostly old phosphate pits.

Matt wants to fish Lake 2 of Tenoroc...it's the 3rd biggest about the size of east Saddle Creek..neither of us have fished it in years..i

If you want..you and I could practice fishing the lake in my boat...this Friday .You could meet me at my house Friday..Morning and ride with me..

flhunter91 06-30-2012 12:17 PM

That sounds like a plan to me Chuck. It'll interesting to fish a new lake.

Chuck7 06-30-2012 12:33 PM

Good deal...it's just like gator creek...Monday would not be a good choice because it will be real good being that the full moon is Tues I think.Mmonday would be good for you to go back to gator creek and get the bass of a lifetime...I plan on taking Kayla,Andy's girlfriend with shiners at gator creek...

Then Friday, you and I will scout out lake 2. Hope you can stay till at least 11;00..but if not..that's ok

Friday things will slow down...and be more realistic for Sat.

Unless you think differently...We could fish either Monday or Friday..whatever you think.

Gangly 06-30-2012 12:40 PM

Congrats to you on on some nice fish.

Chuck, with the crank baits yo want to make sure your using a nice flexible rod with mono to keep those hooks planted in the fishes mouth to keep them from ripping out. A stiff rod will rip them out of their lips in a heart beat.

Again, nice catches guys!

Chuck7 06-30-2012 01:20 PM

Amen Aaron,

When I got home I realized I had left my medium Ugly Stick at home...you are exactly right..I had the crank bait on my new Fenwick MH ...too much rod..
I was only equipped to frog and flip today..and drift..one problem with a Jon boat..more than 4 rods is too crowded..lesson learned though.(-:

Phil from Maine 06-30-2012 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Chuck7 (Post 3948374)
I found out why I lost my big fish on the crankbait...check out the hooks..For now on I'll replace Norman hools with Gakagumi hooks..

I have no idea what Gakagumi hooks are.

Here a guy told me he replaces all the hooks on his top water lures with the Mustad Ultrapoints that can be purchased here at Wal-Mart. They come in a package with 6 in it. The draw back is they are a little bit shorter but still has hook strength and are very sharp. You need to be carefull if replacing them if you decide to try them.. They are advertised anyways to be 30% stronger and Ultra Sharp..

Chuck7 06-30-2012 02:15 PM

Actualy..I was trying to be funny with the spelling because I can't spell it..but I looked on Bass Pro..it's spelled Gamakatsu

However..I'm a Mustad man so will look into the ultra points..I already have some trebles..not sure what kind.i think they are eagle claw.

I do like those Norman DD cranks though...they do the trick...run deep..run straight and get hits.

Well...took the lazy way out.i just straightened out the original hooks.AND made sure it's on a medium rod this time..Crankbait rod is now a full time addition on each fishing trip.( -;

Woodsman88 06-30-2012 02:29 PM

Those were some nice fish! I believe we spoke on the water Thursday. I was fishing out ofthe green gheenoe.

Chuck7 06-30-2012 02:36 PM

Yes sir we did..lol..good to hear from ya. I'm a teacher in Lakeland so I fish a lot in the summer...getting some R&R

I hear you got a decent bass last week...from the man who fishes the frog a lot...I'm still trying to learn how to fish that KVD Sexy frog..I know it's a super bait. I didn't get a boil this morning .With all the new structure caused by T'S Deborah..I opted to flip...the bite was slow but I was hooking up with a few.

Woodsman88 06-30-2012 03:28 PM

It was 5.2 lbs on a crankbait but I will be out there Monday as well. I fish 99% with my grandfather who is retired so I have someone to go with when I'm off work during the week. I only started fishing he creek a few months ago so I'm still learning but last month I had 2 good days. One day I caught 19 and the other day I caught 14. Typically I fish teneroc which I do really well in too but the size is not the same.

Chuck7 06-30-2012 03:33 PM

Neat..I like your signature..one of my favorite hunting scriptures..you must be a Christian as well. I really enjoy the awesome scenery at S.C.as well. When the fall comes I will not fish as much..hardly at all.i'll focus on deer hunting. I love bow hunting.

Woodsman88 06-30-2012 03:37 PM

Yes I am. I hunt green swamp and richloam although this yr I got a lease in Jasper, fl. Did you have any luck this past year?

Chuck7 06-30-2012 04:01 PM

The year before I got a nice six point at Three Lakes...

Last year I did not score but should have had 2

I shot a big doe in the GS ..complete pass through..but in a swamp there is no blood trail...
Felt really bad..

During firearm...I called in a beautiful eight point..GS but I zeroed my rifle in wrong..it was my long range 270 for Three Lakes..anyway..shot over or under his head...depressed for many days..I did get a nice hog ...

Anyways, I'm trusting the Lord for a deer this year.

Your welcome to fish in our little tournaments..
It's 5 dollars. Since it's SC which is catch and release we go by the honor system..the reason I asked if you were a Christian...We count our heaviest 2 fish over 14 inches, I know your a good fishermen..I've watched you fish.(-; We are going to fish lake two at Tenoroc next Sat...We'd be happy to have ya.

We all use a mechanical Rapala scales..you can use what you got..but since they may vary a little..The winner must win by at least a1/2 pound..

Good to have ya here..I wished I could hunt as well as I fish..if you could give me any pointers at hunting GS I'd appreciate it,..

What I do now is..
A, scout and hunt deep
B hunt the thick stuff
C.use the wind to my advantage.
D.sit as long as possible
E.i usually read an entire gospel..and sit all day.

Woodsman88 06-30-2012 04:14 PM

Green swamp is a place you will learn your entire life and is difficult to hunt I have a few spots but my biggest secret is I walk a lot when nothing is goin on and find game. Got a few hogs and a 5 pt last yr. Sounds fun to do those little tournaments so give a challenge to fun days on the lake. Thanks for the kindness!

Chuck7 06-30-2012 04:29 PM

Your quite welcome..your always welcome to join the 3 of us....it's small but just as exciting as the bigger ones I've fished...

And your right about the GS ..you learn as you go.
Ii have a couple hot spots as well..but if I hunt them too much..they go dead fast.

flhunter91 06-30-2012 05:24 PM

I agree with you Chuck, Woodsman, it would be great to have another person in the tournament. It's a good time out there.

Chuck7 07-01-2012 08:14 AM

The pressure would be tougher...that man knows what he is doing....to catch 19 fish out there in the summer is quite a feat in itself...wonder what is secret lure is..(-;

Woodsman88 07-01-2012 01:34 PM

No special lures for saddle creek. Just using worms in dark colors and being persistent when you know where fish are. My grandfather taught me how to fish worms. He used to write the local fishing report in the 80's. He has caught bass out of pits that we all dream of!

flhunter91 07-01-2012 01:41 PM

Just had a great fishing trip at Saddle Creek. I added another bass for the online tournament. I believe this one will put me up to 3rd place.

Chuck7 07-01-2012 01:54 PM

You weren"t at my sand bar was you..with crankbaits? (-:
Yes sir..I looked at the picture...you were there alright..Were the hook sets good..didn't hurt the fish did they? I probablu caught that same 7 pounder last month..

This one was caught at the same place ..7 pounds even...Fought like a mule..I thought it was a 10 pounder..

flhunter91 07-01-2012 02:10 PM

All the hooks sets were very nice, but they didn't hurt the fish. I caught the big one there, but all the others were caught in a separate area one after the other. The 7 pounder really worked me for awhile haha.

Chuck7 07-01-2012 02:14 PM

What did ya catch the 7 on? Were they all caught on the Lightning Rod? WOW! I'd say you got the hang of it..

Congrats..very nice job..I'll be out there tomorrow with Kayla,,,hope I can set her up to catch a mule..

The Tourney is still up in the air..possibly may be the east side..DOn't expect that kind of action next Sat..LOL..will be back to 2 pounders.

flhunter91 07-01-2012 02:19 PM

All the fish were caught on that deep diving crankbait that I have. I was using a 6'6" medium rod. It was a fight haha

I'll be fishing tomorrow to take advantage of the last good day before the full moon.

It's gonna be alot harder this saturday for sure. Those two pounders are gonna win it haha

Chuck7 07-01-2012 02:27 PM

They differently work....when they are feeding...

Chuck7 07-01-2012 02:40 PM

Very nice pics Zack..it's hard taking one of yourself....Fish is very fat..

flhunter91 07-01-2012 02:40 PM

Well I got lucky to be out there when they were feeding heavily haha

Chuck7 07-01-2012 03:03 PM

The odds are that it will be Saddle Creek west this Sat..you may want to practice..there are many sandbars over there..the place is much bigger...

flhunter91 07-01-2012 03:07 PM

Yeah I'll try to practice over there. It'll take me awhile just to find them without a depth finder haha. Hopefully I can find some promising spots.