Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Freshwater Fishing
Ready for my first Bass Tourney >

Ready for my first Bass Tourney

Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Ready for my first Bass Tourney

Old 06-24-2012, 09:19 AM
Dominant Buck

Appreciate the reply partner..I studied videos of folks hooking into them last night and also listened to KVD himself...and here's what I observed and will try Tues.

These particular frog is not like the Horny Toad which I will explain in the next paragraph...the KVD frog is very soft..when the bass bites down I believe he feels the 2 5/0 hooks and spits it out.I've had about 8 bass explode on it now and none of them took it..therefore (and what I gathered from successful froggers) one needs to set the hook like a jig ...soon as. She explodes..pop her,,which totally goes against my style of hook setting..I discovered this lure last week as I had caught 3 bass,,the older man had caught 15..and nothing under 3 pounds,,,I'm now all ears(-:...his lure..a KVD Sexy Frog..and he told me as soon as she explodes pop her...I ran into another man yesterday...said the same thing..and watching the videoed I saw the same thing from 90 percent of them...the only lure I fish like this is a jig...if I feel anything I pop her good

Now..I an successful with the Horny Toad and that hook is well hidden..the bass will boil and in most cases like a rubber worm swim off with it..then I feel the fish and let the rod blank drive the hook home for me using a pull set..

I'll let you all know Tues, When I experiment like this..I will leave ALL other lure home.Another adjustment...switching from 10 pound mono to 20 pound braid..and a stiffer rod.
Old 06-24-2012, 01:31 PM
Fork Horn

I hope you figure it out Chuck. Lots of nice fish waiting to be caught haha
Old 06-24-2012, 02:20 PM
Dominant Buck

I got a 6 foot mh rod only if you want it...very good shape..lightning rod..caught many bass on it..
Old 06-24-2012, 02:57 PM
Fork Horn

I wouldn't mind borrowing that rod Chuck for the tournament. Get a better hook set on the fish. If you wouldn't mind that would be very gracious of you to let me borrow it for the tourney. Thanks
Old 06-24-2012, 04:17 PM
Dominant Buck

It's yours..you may pick it up at my home..or I can give it to you the morning of the tourney..

I'm on South Crystal lake drive..I can see Southeastern University from my house..I can pm you the house number if you want.

Won't be home tomorrow...I'm meeting a relative at the Disney resort..
Friday I'm taking my son's girlfriend shiner fishing..for hopefully her first bass..Tueday I plan to frog fish...weather permitting...Tropical Debbie is dumping some serious rain....no complaints..we need it.

Last edited by Chuck7; 06-24-2012 at 04:21 PM.
Old 06-24-2012, 04:38 PM
Fork Horn

Thank you Chuck! I really appreciate that sir. I wouldn't mind picking it up from you before the tourney. I have to work tuesday morning some time but could come get it from you early when you went fishing. If not if you were home on wednesday I could pick it up whenever you are home. Thank you for your generosity Chuck. I'm looking forward to a better hook set haha
Old 06-24-2012, 04:41 PM
Fork Horn

And yes we did need the rain very badly. Cool the temperature down for awhile at least. I'll make sure I return the rod in good shape after the tourney Chuck. God bless