HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Freshwater Fishing (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/freshwater-fishing-21/)
-   -   Ready for my first Bass Tourney (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/freshwater-fishing/366859-ready-my-first-bass-tourney.html)

Chuck7 06-23-2012 08:06 AM

I went back to the pit on the right..Right where I had caught my 10 pounder I cast ....paused.and my frog exploded..I waited a half second..too late CRAP!! nice boil..I recast it there..BAM!! She hit again...missed again..

Went up to the next group of cat tails...BAM!! miss..ok ok ok..I quit..get out the rubber worm. I knew the bite would be slow so I got a little off the shoreline..went to some promicing spots and patiently banged the shoreline. Overall got 15 hits..6 in the boat..not perfect but good enough.{ -; See ya next Sat. God willing..WIth the full moon coming we should see heavier stringers..

Thanks Phil...just saw your post

Chuck7 06-23-2012 08:11 AM

Yes sir..they picked up around 9:00..patience was the ticket today..Matt was trying for the big fish in the middle..it wasn't there today..Instead..a lot of pitching or casting..

flhunter91 06-23-2012 08:35 AM

Yeah I'm looking forward to some bigger numbers next weekend. Maybe sneak up on you again haha. Overall a good day of fishing.

Chuck7 06-23-2012 08:53 AM

You did better than I thought you would fishing from a kayak..did you have a net? I would have lost one of my. Weigh ins if not for the net...she came unbottoned while netting her

flhunter91 06-23-2012 09:00 AM

Yeah the kayak worked better than I expected Chuck. I did have a nice size net with me which definitely helped out a lot. I was proud of myself today as well haha.

Chuck7 06-23-2012 09:10 AM

Sounds great. I'll be making some adjustments myself preparing for next week...one for sure...working on the frog hook set..I pulled it up on YouTube last night..and sure enough,..everyone has a different style...plan to get it down this week..the frog no doubt gets bigger fish...that is no secret..just fact.Thinking about going back to Horny Toad....much easier to set the hook.

flhunter91 06-23-2012 11:06 AM

Yeah I want to adjust a bit. Since I don't have the money to get a medium heavy baitcaster I'm gonna just put a stronger line on the worm rod. Maybe a lightweight braid for the trees. Maybe I could horse them out more without breaking off. I also want to get a frog as well since I lost mine haha. I just have to find them somewhere now.

Chuck7 06-23-2012 11:14 AM

Yes sir..that is both of my adjustments as well...a braid rod and master the frog hook set...there is always a flipping bass available...and always a frog bite in the morning.

flhunter91 06-23-2012 11:38 AM

Sounds like a good plan. Hopefully the new adjustments bring in more and bigger fish.

j76 06-24-2012 05:25 AM

Not sure about the type of frog you guys are using, but i've used a strike king grass frog for years (don't think they even make em anymore). It's made from a soft rubbery foam and when hit they seem to hang on to it for a few seconds anyways. When a strike occurs, a nice steady few cranks of the reel and either the frog starts coming towards ya due to a miss or the line comes tight and he's there for the hook set. Easier said than done tho, hard to not just rip back on it when that water explodes all around the bait! But thats the fun of topwater!