Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

plastic worm fishing

Old 06-21-2012, 09:52 AM
Spike

Default plastic worm fishing

I use worms every now and then for bass fishing but i ussually dont catch bass because i think im fishing it wrong. Can someone tell me how they fish plastic worms so i will know.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:54 AM
Dominant Buck

Hello sir,

Look at the thread " Best Worms And Colors"

Then read post#19
Old 06-21-2012, 01:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by junkmonkey17
I use worms every now and then for bass fishing but i ussually dont catch bass because i think im fishing it wrong. Can someone tell me how they fish plastic worms so i will know.
The most simple and easy way to fish plastic worms is wacky rigging a cigar-type worm. I will attach a figure and links on how to fish this method effectively. I would greatly recomend this setup if you have had trouble catching fish on worms previously, this is a good method to begin with.

http://www.bassfishingandcatching.com/wacky-rig.html
Old 06-21-2012, 05:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

Question on using plastic worms.. I am wondering if you let them take the worm for a bit before trying to set the hook? The reason I am asking is because I have lost a couple of decent bass after they hit and I try to set the hook. It appears those bigger ones just come right out of the water and throw the hook or gets me in the weeds and they end up coming off. I have had plenty of action with both largemouths and smallmouths. I am finding the smallmouths in deep water all ready and I am finding that a bit different for this time of year..
Old 06-21-2012, 06:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Phil from Maine
Question on using plastic worms.. I am wondering if you let them take the worm for a bit before trying to set the hook? The reason I am asking is because I have lost a couple of decent bass after they hit and I try to set the hook. It appears those bigger ones just come right out of the water and throw the hook or gets me in the weeds and they end up coming off. I have had plenty of action with both largemouths and smallmouths. I am finding the smallmouths in deep water all ready and I am finding that a bit different for this time of year..
Really depends on the situation for me. Personally, when fishing plastic worms I prefer it to be calm and I fish weightless. In the circumstance, I can visually see the bite (via braid line) and set the hook immediately. In conditions when I can not visually see a bite I will allow the worm to fall with an open bail and often upon the hookset the fish has had the lure for some time.

Most plastic worms, specifically weightless worms, bass will hold on to for an unbelievable length of time.
Old 06-22-2012, 02:03 AM
Boone & Crockett

Ok, Thanks for the reply! I had been trying to set the hook when they first hit or give me a little tug.. That is when they will hit it. I have seen some come straight out of the water and not hit a thing as well.
Old 06-22-2012, 05:31 AM
Dominant Buck

Phil,
I've been working with FLhunter91 on this exact thing...

There are 2 main schools of thought here..one is the set immediately..I don't do that

I use the pull set..seeing FL hunter 91 ..I may be able to help you I saw some common mistakes..

#1 ...do not have your hand on the handle...you set first..then reel.
#2. ...most tend to yank..do not yank..let your rod tip set the hook..it takes very little effort to drive a hook into your hand..the rod tip is like a spring..when the worm is in his mouth ..I must feel fish before I set..my set is not a yank but a hard pull..like taking a big fat kid who is in the road and pulling him out of the road..a yank is too quick and more than not you will yank the worm out of the fishes mouth...I imagine all my bites are 5 pound fish,that way it's not a whimp pull ..but a good solid pull..then when rod is bent and fish is on I reel the fish in..If the rod is a medium action..that could also be the problem..just not enough umph
Old 06-22-2012, 06:37 AM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks for the reply Chuck, that is where I am messing up then. I am realing in an when they hit I try and set the hook. I guess that is why I keep loosing some of them. I will have to try a different aproach on them.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:50 AM
Dominant Buck

Yes sir..I'm actually learning a lot from flhunter91..he's majoring in fish and wildlife at Mississippi Univrsity..However;he's kind of new to pitching so I watched him..he's a very humble young man and received my critiquing of him very well...Remember John Boy Walton..this is John Boy(-:

I noticed he was very hasty and anxious when he got a bite..his right hand was on the reel handle and with a quick yank and turn of the reel...plus done on a med. action rod...the odds were against him.

Worming is not that hard because unless the fish feels you you have lot's of time...My hand is no where near the handle..I'm focused on where the fish it at..quickly reel in the slack to where the fish it at making sure the fish does not feel you..then with hand off the handle..I do my pull set..explained in next paragraph.

Now imagine you are tied unto a cinder block..a quick yank..and you broke the line..a steady pull...and you activate the drag..big difference.once the rod is bent and fish on..then it's time to ( not rush the fish in) but calmly work the fish in..next spawning season I plan to make a flipping video...My wife can sit in Matt's boat and video..

Flipping helps teach this concept because there is no hand available for the reel..your left hand is actually holding line and your right hand has the rod..when you get a bite you are single handling it..letting Big Bertha pull your tip down and with your right hand setting the hook..your left hand is still holding line until the fish has pulled out that slack..then..you finally reel..Lol now ..how fast is all of that done.?.about 3 seconds (-;

The rod tip is very important here Phil..the reason why I am very pickty about choosing my worm rod...I want a semi-light rod..but has backbone and a fast action tip..some spring but not too much...I love my new rod..She gets the job done.

Last edited by Chuck7; 06-22-2012 at 07:02 AM.