Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Best bait caster

Old 06-13-2012, 12:17 PM
Dominant Buck

Default Best bait caster

Ok guys, I honestly don't need another rod or reel..I'm very content and happy..However, my birthday is Sat. And Matt insist that I go to Bass Pro and get any rod I want including the near 400.00 GLoomis....

We went 2 Sats ago when I returned my fiberglass mount..I liked the feel of 2 different rods..the ST.Croix 180.00 model and the GLoomis..379.00 model.

I wished he wouldn't..I'm partial to the 7 foot MH Fenwicks which to my knowledge can be only found on eBay..they have one for 89.00 with free shipping..

summary..apart from price would you urather have a ST Croix or GLoomis? If money was no issue..
And why?
Thanks c7

Personally I think the Croix looks nicer..
Old 06-13-2012, 12:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Chuck7
Ok guys, I honestly don't need another rod or reel..I'm very content and happy..However, my birthday is Sat. And Matt insist that I go to Bass Pro and get any rod I want including the near 400.00 GLoomis....

We went 2 Sats ago when I returned my fiberglass mount..I liked the feel of 2 different rods..the ST.Croix 180.00 model and the GLoomis..379.00 model.

I wished he wouldn't..I'm partial to the 7 foot MH Fenwicks which to my knowledge can be only found on eBay..they have one for 89.00 with free shipping..

summary..apart from price would you urather have a ST Croix or GLoomis? If money was no issue..
And why?
Thanks c7

Personally I think the Croix looks nicer..

I can't say from personal experience, due to the fact that I have never owned a GLoomis of Loomis Series rod. I have sold several and fished a few of my friends and they are very light rods. The quality is there in both rods, and I would imagine both have exceptional warranties.

I can personally say I have owned and fished a number of St. Croix rods and think they have good sensitivitiy and are mostly light-weight rods. Depending on the model, it should have the lightness and backbone you would be looking for at a somewhat reasonable price. St. Croix customer service has treated me well in the past so that is another bonus from my standpoint.

All in all, if price is no issue, I would choose Loomis because of the name, lightness of rod, and simply because I do not own any.
Old 06-13-2012, 01:31 PM
Dominant Buck

Thanks Buck...I 'm pretty sold out on the St Croix..the Avid series..I like light and back bone...

The Fenwick on eBay is nice..but to be totally honest..the cork butt needs to be sanded down for my hand..is too fat and uncomfortable...

Gloomis...I hate doing that to my son or anybody else..that is a huge chunk of change..like you I have handled one and they are very nice..but the Advid sounds nice to me well..I hope I got your Smally pounds correct...very nice greenbacks..

I took my son's girlfriend out bass fishing ..bad moon..this weekend will be good..took me about 2 hours to teach her how to pitch..I was giving her the front of the boat...I lost a 3 and boated a 3...she never got a hit..Monday I plan to pitch and let her drift a live shiner..(-: should be fun...been very hot here..I'm still getting fish pitching if I can find structure in 2feet or better on the shoreline...mostly fixing up the house but trying to get on the water at least once a week.
Tight lines,
c7

Last edited by Chuck7; 06-13-2012 at 01:33 PM.
Old 06-13-2012, 01:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

If money was no object, the G. Loomis. Money is always an object to me though, even when considering a 75c pack of gum over a 50c pack of gum. Is the G. Loomis a top notch rod? DEFINITELY!!! But make sure the rod you are getting is one that you would actually use, and use A LOT. If I was going to spend 400 on a rod, it would be my bread and butter rod, the one I used the most year round. Basically, I wouldnt spend 400 on a G. Loomis cranking rod if 75 percent of my fishing was flipping and pitching. Good luck finding the rod of your choice, its always nice going to purchase something knowing that there is little you can't afford to look at
Old 06-13-2012, 05:10 PM
Dominant Buck

I want to know more about the warranty..like can I Take it back to Bass Pro? ....like you said,,it would be me my full time flipping and pitching rod...but the warranty better be good..
Old 06-13-2012, 05:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

G.Loomis Rods: covered by a limited lifetime warranty against defects in workmanship and materials

• All rods are subject to a $20 processing fee. Please include a check, money order or credit card information. Rod warranty will not be processed until payment is received.
  • For Damage determined to have occurred due to defect, GLoomis will, at the company's discretion, either repair or replace the product at no charge
  • Damages occurring due to neglect, accident or normal wear and tear will, at the company's discretion, be repaired or replaced for a specific fee.
  • A full estimate will be provided for your approval before any fees are levied.
For warranty claims:

• Ship the damaged rod in a disposable container, prepaid and insured, along with a completed copy of our Web Warranty Return Form.
__________________________________________________ ____________________________________________

St. Croix Avid Series Warranty and Service Information:

We will promptly repair or replace (at our option) your rod, reel or rod blank free of charge if it becomes damaged due to defective materials or workmanship for the life of the rod/reel/blank. This Service Policy applies to the original owner only and may not be transferred to another person.
We reserve the right to replace a discontinued model with a current model of our choosing. We rely on the information that you provide us on our Warranty Registration form to substantiate that you are the original owner of this rod. A registration form is attached to each new rod, or you may complete your registration on our website.
Rods/reels/blanks that have become damaged due to normal wear, accident, misuse or neglect may be repaired or replaced for a reasonable charge. If this cost exceeds 20.00, then St. Croix will advise you of this cost and await your approval prior to proceeding.
Damaged rods/reels/blanks should be returned directly to the St. Croix Service Center. St. Croix dealers are not authorized to perform service work on behalf of St. Croix. You must return the entire product, including broken parts, freight prepaid and insured, to the address below. Please include a note explaining the problem, along with 20.00 for return shipping and handling within the USA and Canada. International customers are responsible for the actual return shipping and insurance charges.
Old 06-13-2012, 05:47 PM
Dominant Buck

Thanks Buck...

I checked out the Fenwicks hmx and hmg...reviews said the hmgs are just as good as the Advids's.so I found one and bought one 5 minutes ago...89.00 7 foot Triggerstick MH...still going to Bass Pro sat..this was my youngest boys gift...New in the box
HMGs are stiffer

Thank God for kids (-:
Old 06-13-2012, 05:53 PM
Fork Horn

I own several St. Croix rods, fly rods and spinning rods, and I have been very happy with them. A lot of times with the higher priced rods, they price them 2 or 3X the price of the rod to be able to afford the warranty. I know that's the case with some of the fly rods (Sage, etc.). You get what you pay for, but past a certain point, you are paying for a name and that's it.

Personally, I would go with the St. Croix. It will do anything the Loomis will, and at half the price. The warranties seem to be similar if that's a deciding factor.

Regardless of the choice, a day with your son picking out the rod and using a rod that he bought you will be satisfaction enough no matter what.
Old 06-13-2012, 06:53 PM
Dominant Buck

Amen sir...
Appreciate all the thoughtful replies..
Can't wait till next year's spawn..lol

Aaron, have you been using your depth finder yet?
Old 06-14-2012, 01:28 AM
Dominant Buck

Well....Matt insist that I drive to Bass Pro today and pick up the .......GLoomis worm/jig rod..this way Sat. On my birthday we can fish...you all know how big he is ..so I will do as I'm told.(-: ...plan to pick up the rod today at 9:00
Getting the 7 foot MH model..as Aaron has said, my primary style is pitching and flipping so this rod will be used a lot.

The Paradox...just when I 've been preaching that I don't have any wants and being content is where it's at..then the Lord does something like this..lol ..it's flat out amazing...it really is...for I believe that all good things come from the Lord...as well as SOME tough things..this year my faith has been sorely tried but I'm a better man having gone through it...I've learned to trust no one but the Lord..And my wife..man is shaky..So thanking God for the good and the days of discipline as well..3 times this year my job was on the line...over stupid stuff..I've learned to keep my mouth shut unless it is job related..big lesson. ..

Let's go fishin (-:

Last edited by Chuck7; 06-14-2012 at 01:47 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.