HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Freshwater Fishing (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/freshwater-fishing-21/)
-   -   Best bait caster (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/freshwater-fishing/366215-best-bait-caster.html)

Phil from Maine 06-14-2012 02:21 AM

You mean that they make a good baitcaster? Just joking with yah Chuck.. Now myself I think I would of went with the St. Croix as well. But, seeing how your son wants to buy it for you then what the heck.. The problem I would have is that I would be treating it to special and wouldn't want nothing to happen to it. No scratches, dings, or anything at all. Then I would end up asking myself why do I have it? But a gift is a gift so why not? Anyways good luck and have a great day with your son..

Also I wish you a Happy Birthday in advance!! So Happy Birthday to yah!!
:party::birthday::party::birthday::party:

I am heading over town to the boat landing shortly so as I can replace the last 4 rollers on my old trailer. I will have to post a pic of it when I have all the repairs made to it.. Basically it is just repair and replacement. It will be nice to load unload when I am done with it. After that I will be needing to paint it up sometime..

Also Chuck if you get a chance check out the photo forums of my pics from my Canon post..

Chuck7 06-14-2012 03:03 AM

wow Phil..I didn't,t even know we had a photo forum..I will check it out.

Phil from Maine 06-14-2012 04:08 AM

Yeah Chuck, at least that is what I call it.. The Video & Photgraphy forum.. I know you like birds Chuck, do you know what this medium size bird is??

Chuck7 06-14-2012 07:26 AM

Wow...I could easily find out but off the top of my head ...no sir..it appears to be some sort of grouse...nice picture...never saw one before..it appears to be a Ruffled Grouse..I've got one mounted..I've eaten some before...and had one THUNDER over my head once in the PA mountains..totally freaked me out.

Chuck7 06-14-2012 07:38 AM

Well ,Matt will be happy..I got the cheaper model Gloomis...After the long drive I made up my mind to get a 6 1/2 footer MH..good thing too..they had no 7 footers and only one 61/2 footers..MH ..it was there lower end Gloomis so it only cost 215.00....one of their Greenback models..the man was trying to tell me it was the same blank as the St Croix .Advid..super wrong ..I held both in my hand at the same time..the St Croix is twice the weight..my Gloomis feels like your holding air..I'm actually concerned about it hauling Big Berthas out of the jungle..it will primarily be my jig rod..

Reason being..on a jig it's tap and SET...that fast..the extra sensitivity would make this my go to jig rod..

On a worm I like to feel..wait a second ..and good pull set..my Fenwick will be my go to rod for that..I've got one coming in the mail..

While at the Bass Pro I also picked up some goodies..

6 Bill Normans...3 Chrome, 1Sexy Shad,1Tenn.Ghost and one pearl
2 1/4 ounce Panther Martin Fly Spinners
1 Primos Cuttin Striker..lost mine in the swamp ..awesome striker..
And plan to order 3 100 grain Steelforce Broadheads...

Great birthday,

Phil from Maine 06-14-2012 08:36 AM

Wow...I could easily find out but off the top of my head ...no sir..it appears to be some sort of grouse...nice picture...never saw one before..it appears to be a Ruffled Grouse..
It is a Canadian Spruce Partridge actually. We are in some of thier southern most range here. They are a pretty stupid bird for as far as grouse and the like goes. You can walk almost right up beside them and there is not a lot of them here either. They are illegal to shoot due to thier numbers being so low.

I am glad you have your new fishing pole and now you can show us some more largemouths.. LOL Good Luck on your fishing trip..

Gangly 06-15-2012 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by Chuck7 (Post 3944274)
Amen sir...
Appreciate all the thoughtful replies..
Can't wait till next year's spawn..lol

Aaron, have you been using your depth finder yet?

I've gotten to play around with it some and found some nice brushpiles with it. However, the Navionics card I put in it is really what has helped out the most. It has 1' elevation contours of the entire lake and has allowed me to find MANY good points and open water humps. Though I've played with it a little, I havent had any time to really fish with it yet, but hopefully I will get a chance this weekend maybe.

I took the boat out last weekend with the wife and kids to let them tube a little bit and was able to find a sunken paddle wheel boat which was a really neat find. The unit has screen capture capability but I havent been able to figure it out yet. Once I do, I'll post a few pictures of the brush piles and the sunken paddle wheel boat.

Chuck7 06-15-2012 08:13 AM

Good deal Aaron..my depth finder found alot of fish today..BUT...uh...hum...they were not cooperating very good..LOL

Gangly 06-15-2012 02:27 PM

That happens, lol. If I could catch a tenth of the fish I believe I see, I would be telling Van Dam how to fish :)

Chuck7 06-15-2012 03:06 PM

When ya coming down again Aaron?