Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

braided fishing line

Old 05-19-2012, 06:16 PM
Spike

Default braided fishing line

I was wondering is anyone has used braided fishing line and how they like it i was looking at this http://www.cabelas.com/product/Power...rds/738578.uts 20 pound green for bass i was wondeing if 20 is to much and if green is a good color
Old 05-20-2012, 03:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by junkmonkey17
I was wondering is anyone has used braided fishing line and how they like it i was looking at this http://www.cabelas.com/product/Power...rds/738578.uts 20 pound green for bass i was wondeing if 20 is to much and if green is a good color

Braided fish line definately has its place in bass fishing and can be used as a vital took. The strength, sensitivity, and no-stretch characteristics make it a great advancement in the fishing industry.

Depending on your use of it, 20 pound braid is definately not "too much". Several people are now using 60, 85, and 100 pound braids bass fishing under specific circumstances. The brand you mentioned in your link, PowerPro, is my favorite brand. One word of advice though, unless you are passionate towards Cabelas, buy it elsewhere and save some money!

Another line that you may be interested in are the new 'superlines". Although slightly more expensive, these lines are (and will) become very popular in the fishing world.
Old 05-20-2012, 06:04 AM
Dominant Buck

Power Pro is my favorite braid...l.i wouldn't flip with out it..In Fl the average spawn Hawg is 6 pounds...although 10- 14 pounders happen each year...I use 20 most of the time but in serious terrain...I use 40 I've had 20 pound braid snap a couple of times..but never 40'mwith 40 I don"t lock the drag up or you can rip the bass" mouth and lose the fish..I want some drag...

Braid is also great in lily pads..lhowever, the fish can see braid easier than mono so I only use braid when I have to....my favorite line is Trilene XL. 10 pound test....Power Pro is my favorite braid
Old 05-20-2012, 07:21 AM
Fork Horn

I had some that was already on a rod i bought used so idk how old it was or what brand it was, but i hated it
Old 05-20-2012, 09:12 AM
Dominant Buck

This is what I use braid for...

I pulled this 4 pounder out of that island of cat tails in back of me...you can't do that with mono..

Last edited by Chuck7; 05-20-2012 at 09:28 AM.
Old 05-21-2012, 02:49 PM
Typical Buck

You need braid to cut through grass so if your flipping docks don't use braid but if your doing hand to hand combat with a bass in thick grass you definately need braided line, like 50lb braid at least. But if you aren't flipping go with a lighter braid like 20lb or maybe even lighter.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:57 AM
Spike

Braid definitely has its place in fishing. If your power fishing in heavy cover, or throwing an Alabama rig, braid is a must.

I like the Bass Pro excel braid. Never had any problems.
Old 05-25-2012, 07:27 AM
Dominant Buck

"Lighter line go with 20 " { -; I don't consider 20 a lighter line..LOL..I use nothing over 10 except in heavy structure..The 10 pound test is good for heart circulation and keeps the angler in check with his skills and tackle.

In heavy structure braid may hold the fish on but their still are some issues..
a. Appropriate drag as the tough hooks can rip a bass's mouth open
b. Fish can wrap around structure leaving you with a hook in a cat tail and a missed fish
C. and if your line is not in top shape it can snap..sometimes the line is rotten or weakened by the elements.
So braid is not an automatic but it does add the odds to the fisherman..

I'm hooked on Power Pro...20 is nice but I've been using 40 for insurance..the 10 was caught on 40..I did not let off one bit when fighting her..if it was 20 I may have lost her..she felt like a cinder block with fins..SOmetimes the strengh of the fish don't break the line but their teeth..after a 60 second game of tug-o-war..if it was a swallowed worm ,the line is going back and forth over 100s of sandpaper like teeth..I've seen fish lost like that before.
Old 05-25-2012, 07:32 AM
Typical Buck

braid is more and more common,
and with smaller diameter, they use heavier and heaving line,
was watching a fishing show otherday, big name celebrity fishermen, forgot name for now,
but for bass fishing he was using 65lb braid, 7 1/2' heavy action rod, and a heavy duty reel,
i was like wow overkill?
guess i am old fashioned, never tried braid and no plans to.
Old 05-25-2012, 07:34 AM
Dominant Buck

Do you all see this little spot right here..It's very small..In this spot this year alone I caught 2 twos..2 threes 1 four and just off this spot Matt got one just under 9 pounds..The water in those cat tails are 12 inches deep..but this is the kind of stuff spawners love..

You can fish it about every 3 days and catch a different fish..

Note Matt's trolling motor handle..the above cat tails are right in back of his boat...the bass was just under 9 pounds/...Caught on a Rapala Shad Rap...on 10 pound trilene..Matt number one strategy is crankbaits..when that fails he flips/pitches..Cranks were working that day..This is his best bass to date...also note the cat tails a ways off in back of his hat..{ -; super duper jig and pig spot..Even now you can always get a bass out of there of decent measurements.

Here is my neighbor fishing a highly pressure area..most strike out here...I simply had him fish a jig in those cat tails...not on the edge ..I'm talking about 4 feet inside that jungle..we worked these real good and got many hits..He lost alot simply because his rod wasn't stout enough to handle the fish..the fish was handling him..He will be better prepared next year I hope..{-;

Last edited by Chuck7; 05-25-2012 at 07:46 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.