Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

River Fishing Tackle

Old 05-08-2012, 04:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default River Fishing Tackle

I just took my boat out for the first time ever on the river. To be honest its the first time I've ever fished the river either.

So heres the question,

What are some tackle/rod/reel options out there that you guys would recommend?
Old 05-09-2012, 12:06 PM
Dominant Buck

Depends on a few things,,

River bottom...this would determine the line I would use

Fish species I'd be catching..this again would determine the line type.

Fish species would determine the lures I'd be using..and rod and reel

Need more info...also water clarity....and structure such as logs,trees, rocks , plant life.

Is it a tributary or a full fledged river with barges...or a big creek..
Old 05-09-2012, 04:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have to agree with C7 on this one.. With out more information there is not much we can do for you. The biggest piece of it would be what type of fish are you planning on fishing for?
Old 05-10-2012, 07:13 AM
Dominant Buck

In our rivers back home in mD,your normal standard rod and reel would work well with 10 pound test..

However;if I fished where they had flathead cats , sturgeon etc.etc..I would not be using my 'Standard Stuff' LOL i'd be going with the big stuff...and yes I said sturgeon. Back in MD I only lived a few miles from the Susquehana River in which a very big sturgeon was caught.It was mounted and is on display in the small town of Northeast.Maryland. Also in some of the tributaries of the upper Chesapeake Bay they have monster sized rockfish { Striped bass} magor tackle is needed to land these mules...so river size can very .

I've fished alot in the Northeast River where we catch smaller fish, herring, bluegills, yellow perch, white perch ,catfish ,crappie and bass...light tackle is fine on this tiny tide water river.For this river..a Zebco 33 with 8 pound test is fine.

Last edited by Chuck7; 05-10-2012 at 07:16 AM.
Old 05-11-2012, 03:03 AM
j76
Typical Buck

Any time we have ever went down a river in a canoe i've always packed my little 5' brook trout rod with a little panther martin spinner. Caught everthing from panfish to brookies to a 30 in. pike with that rig.
Old 05-11-2012, 07:29 AM
Dominant Buck

Yes sir..I'm also a fan of the Panther Martins...great little lure that spns no matter how slow you bring it in..For bigger fish I'm a fan of the 3/8 th ounce Rooster Tail.