HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Freshwater Fishing (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/freshwater-fishing-21/)
-   -   almost got ripped on eBay... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/freshwater-fishing/363589-almost-got-ripped-ebay.html)

Chuck7 05-05-2012 01:30 PM

almost got ripped on eBay...

I really like the Symetre Shimano FI model spinning reels..the FI models are very hard to find anywhere...I won a bid for 65.00 very expensive for a used reel....seller posted Absolutely No Returns

When I got the reel it would not turn...the seller refused to refund..said I probably broke it...My wife wrote eBay..they froze his Pay pal account..in one week I got my money back...wow...close call

Chuck7 05-05-2012 01:38 PM

Here's the FI model..aluminum housing as the FJ model has graphite housing and is known for weak bail springs..

The FI is not available at Bass pro or cabelas,,,bummer.This reel is about 5 years old and the best spinning reel i've ever own.They sell at about 120.00 new...The 8 pounder was caught on this rig..with the big fat Norman crank..since that fish I don't crank anymore..too scary..

it can handle the fish..but the constant cranking..I don't think so..

mortalcare 05-06-2012 04:41 PM

i imagine it was probably broken in shipping, as alot of things are when people dont handle them right, and especially after CHUCK7 said they have a weak bail spring. soo.... your probably mad that you were almost ripped off and the sellers prolly pissed he had to refund you :evil:

Phil from Maine 05-07-2012 12:50 AM

Yeah, sometimes ebay can have sellers selling some junk.. You have to be carefull when you buy like that.. I am glad you were able to get your money back though..

Chuck7 05-07-2012 03:57 PM

The FI model has good bail springs..the FJ model had bad reviews on the bail springs..

My guess...the owner redoes reels for a living..the reel had fresh oil coming out of it..my guess..they disassembled it and had one part upside down..the reel would turn 2 turns and lock up.it did this in both directions..Also..the shaft that makes the spool go up and down..would not move...someone did not reassemble the reel correctly..

What ticked me off was that the seller called me a liar..I knew EBay would re-read all the communications so I let the man set himself up..EBay sided with me..I got my money back

Happy Camper

JoshKeller 05-18-2012 07:49 PM

sounds like the worm gear inside was stripped.. for $65 it was better to get the refund, but had it been around $20, a worm gear can be had for $4 or so.

that said, i love those old symetres - have quite a few of them myself in size 2500.

Chuck7 05-19-2012 01:30 PM

Don't think so Josh...I've worked on quite a few..since I was planning to return..I left this one alone..

I did however look at the schematic in the bottom of the box..I could also tell the reel was freshly oiled /probably disassembled..I also learned the reel came from a reel repair shop..

Here is how the reel felt..I will do my best to describe.....

I'm thinking oh boy ..and I go to turn my reel and on the second revolution..she is jammed up...it oh..what is this..I make sure the brake is off and try to turn the other way..ok turns nicely for 2turns and jams up..meanwhile I note the spool is not going in and out..I take the spool off and I can pull the center shaft in and out manually about a 1/2 inch..crap..something is freaking wrong here...I look hard at the schematic..there is a little thingamajig that fits on the shaft..my guess..joe the reel guy was in a hurry and messed up reassembling the reell ..the reel was in awesome shape ,cleans and tight..but non useable..I got my 65.00 back thanks Jesus and Ebay

Chuck7 05-19-2012 01:31 PM

Don't think so Josh...I've worked on quite a few..since I was planning to return..I left this one alone..

I did however look at the schematic in the bottom of the box..I could also tell the reel was freshly oiled /probably disassembled..I also learned the reel came from a reel repair shop..

Here is how the reel felt..I will do my best to describe.....

I'm thinking oh boy ..and I go to turn my reel and on the second revolution..she is jammed up...it oh..what is this..I make sure the brake is off and try to turn the other way..ok turns nicely for 2turns and jams up..meanwhile I note the spool is not going in and out..I take the spool off and I can pull the center shaft in and out manually about a 1/2 inch..crap..something is freaking wrong here...I look hard at the schematic..there is a little thingamajig that fits on the shaft..my guess..joe the reel guy was in a hurry and messed up reassembling the reell ..the reel was in awesome shape ,cleans and tight..but non useable..I got my 65.00 back thanks Jesus and Ebay