HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Freshwater Fishing (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/freshwater-fishing-21/)
-   -   panfish problems? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/freshwater-fishing/362613-panfish-problems.html)

mortalcare 04-18-2012 05:54 PM

panfish problems?

AHHH!!!! the spawn seems to be really simple, but im fishin at a new location this year and the fish behavior is wierd!! first, before the spawn (right now) when fish are supposed to be gorging themselves, the fish aint biting? also theres already alot of very small fish at the bed, too young to have been born last year.... (at least thats how it looks to me). and also, the small fish are the only one's biting. i can see big fish but their scared of biting. possible bullying by smaller fish?
:confused0024::confused0024::confused0024:

buckhunter14 04-19-2012 09:36 AM

Depends on the species of panfish in many cases, but big bull bluegills (bream) are very finicky. If you can see them, they can see you. The game is over.

If you are only seeing small fish on the beds, I would suggest fishing deeper water in close proximity of the beds. Larger fish are staging somewhere close if the body of water holds bigger fish at all.

mortalcare 04-19-2012 11:07 AM

it does hold bigger fish, however i have tried this. all the big fish are under the dock im fishin, and they come to the water im fishin to eat. (just not my bait >.< ) and its all sunfish and punkinseed family fish so they dont get that big to start with...

Champlain Islander 04-22-2012 05:21 AM

Has been hot here in VT. Got a 25 limit of pounder plus crappie 3 out of the last 4 days along with a cooler of sunnies and gills each day. Today it is cold and rainy so I will take the day off.

mortalcare 04-22-2012 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander (Post 3931528)
Has been hot here in VT. Got a 25 limit of pounder plus crappie 3 out of the last 4 days along with a cooler of sunnies and gills each day. Today it is cold and rainy so I will take the day off.

WOW! impressive! fishin a private pond? If not then i have no idea how you do it hahaha

Champlain Islander 04-22-2012 02:48 PM

No private pond just some small set backs off the main Lake Champlain which is 120 miles long. During spring when the water temp in the main lake is still low the shallow setbacks and creeks running into the lake often have spawing temp water in them way before the main lake bays. In addition to the limits of crappie, perch and gills which are in abundance, I have caught plenty of other species which frequent these places. Bass, pike, pickeral, bowfin, bullhead, shad and rudd all are constantly biting my tube jugs fished under a bobber. Plenty of fishing birds, turtles and other swamp critters are also sharing these places. Fun to fish and productive. Once the bays warm up then the fish will be spread out all along the shores and then it gets really good.

mortalcare 04-23-2012 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander (Post 3931676)
No private pond just some small set backs off the main Lake Champlain which is 120 miles long. During spring when the water temp in the main lake is still low the shallow setbacks and creeks running into the lake often have spawing temp water in them way before the main lake bays. In addition to the limits of crappie, perch and gills which are in abundance, I have caught plenty of other species which frequent these places. Bass, pike, pickeral, bowfin, bullhead, shad and rudd all are constantly biting my tube jugs fished under a bobber. Plenty of fishing birds, turtles and other swamp critters are also sharing these places. Fun to fish and productive. Once the bays warm up then the fish will be spread out all along the shores and then it gets really good.

nice :D :hail:

Gangly 04-24-2012 07:20 AM

It just depends on the sunfish really. Most of the time they are in the right mood and you can pull in bucket loads, even if they are 2 feet in front of you and staring you in the face. Every once in a while though there are times when you have to be ultra stealthy with mega-bionic-invisible-ninja fishing skills (yes, I did type that) just to get one bite an hour. Its not often that happens but it can be very frustrating when it does. Like mentioned above, fish the first deeper break and you should find some decent bulls.

mortalcare 04-24-2012 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by Gangly (Post 3932189)
It just depends on the sunfish really. Most of the time they are in the right mood and you can pull in bucket loads, even if they are 2 feet in front of you and staring you in the face. Every once in a while though there are times when you have to be ultra stealthy with mega-bionic-invisible-ninja fishing skills (yes, I did type that) just to get one bite an hour. Its not often that happens but it can be very frustrating when it does. Like mentioned above, fish the first deeper break and you should find some decent bulls.

imma try fishin deeper next yeah, cuz i keep hearin that