Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

The ice is now out!!

Old 04-16-2012, 05:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default The ice is now out!!

Finally the ice is out of all the lakes in my area.. The ice had finally left the last lake here yesterday afternoon. So naturally I had to give a little boat fishing a try. I caught 2 decent landlock salmon while trolling a streamer I had tied. I was not sure if it would work or not. After trolling it for a while I had several taps on it and then caught 2..

Now you should see what my streamer looks like.. They totally distroyed it so I am going to have to make some more of it up before my next outing.. I was going to try for some lakers but the wind picked up rather quickly and I decided to call it a day.

I will try to post a couple of pics after work tomorrow of the salmon and what exactly is left of my streamer.. The pics will be from home as I never took my camera with me..
Old 04-16-2012, 06:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Phil from Maine
Finally the ice is out of all the lakes in my area.. The ice had finally left the last lake here yesterday afternoon. So naturally I had to give a little boat fishing a try. I caught 2 decent landlock salmon while trolling a streamer I had tied. I was not sure if it would work or not. After trolling it for a while I had several taps on it and then caught 2..

Now you should see what my streamer looks like.. They totally distroyed it so I am going to have to make some more of it up before my next outing.. I was going to try for some lakers but the wind picked up rather quickly and I decided to call it a day.

I will try to post a couple of pics after work tomorrow of the salmon and what exactly is left of my streamer.. The pics will be from home as I never took my camera with me..

Very interested to see the streamer and the fish. Is it possible to tie a stinger hook onto the tail end of the streamer to have a chance at hooking those short-strikes?
Old 04-16-2012, 07:30 PM
Fork Horn

Still about 2ft of ice here.But the temps have been in the 40's to low 50's most days for a couple weeks.
Old 04-17-2012, 04:58 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by buckhunter14
Very interested to see the streamer and the fish. Is it possible to tie a stinger hook onto the tail end of the streamer to have a chance at hooking those short-strikes?
Here is the pics.. I am sorry they are not that great as I have a relatively new camera and I keep getting the settings messed up..
The landlock salmon.. A 22 incher around 3 to 3 1/2 lbs.. And a 17 and 1/2 incher Most the salmon in this lake run from 16 to 18 inches..
and what is left of my streamer.. It is a red and white maribou with a golden pheasant crest.. I know it is hard to tell but you can see what they did to this streamer.. I also sent a few to Chuck to try down there.. I do not t6hink he has but he aught to they work great and even better early in the season..

Last edited by Phil from Maine; 04-17-2012 at 05:02 PM.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Awesome Phil! That streamer looks all kinds of tore up haha. Beautiful fish, congrats.
Old 04-18-2012, 02:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Never heard of trolling a treamer like that. Better tie up some new ones!
Old 04-18-2012, 05:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks and yes I will be tying up a few more of them shortly.. Prolly tomorrow evening so I will know they will be ready for Saturday to give them a try again..
As you can see it was really getting hit and had gotten torn apart pretty good.
Yeah, Buckhunter, in this area we have always trolled streamers with a fly rod. Some people use a small split shot as well. Not I so much as I enjoy the action and top water this time of year works well for me..