Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Freshwater Fishing
What makes a good flipping reel? >

What makes a good flipping reel?

Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

What makes a good flipping reel?

Old 05-20-2012, 04:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

I will be spooling it back up before long with some more mono. I will give that idea a try I sure can not loose anything by trying it anyhow. I just get pretty darn frustrated with that darn thing.. Maybe some day I will be able to use it right.. LOL until then I know there will be more tangles to come..
Old 05-21-2012, 07:04 AM
Dominant Buck

OK partner..

When you respool...put your lure on that you will be flippping with.loosen the spool knob until the lure drops slowly..Start all over again and slowly tighten until the lure does not move..you should have no more backlash problems..

When you flip or pitch you will never need to cast..If you are not sure how to pitch and flip..I can make you a video..probably in Maine you would not flip but you can pitch...Pitching is when your boat will be about 10 feet from the shore line..you peel off some line from the baitcaster.
using the rod and your forearm/wrist..underhand toss the worm on the shoreline..
Using the rod like a flyrod work the lure back to the boat..IF you get a hit..quickly lower rod..reel in slack and set the hook.
When the bite is slow..this is how I fish if I want to catch fish..your baitcaster would work great in this situation..

You want to underhand toss cast..{ -; and the quieter the worm hits the better..they spook easy on the shore ..u want a gentle presentation...this style of fishing Phil is my #1 way of putting bass in the boat..you can cover alot of shoreline this way..
Old 05-21-2012, 01:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks Chuck! I will have to give that a try. I am stubborn and some day I just may be able to use one of those baitcasters..
Old 05-21-2012, 02:46 PM
Typical Buck

I think a 7:1 gear ratio reel is a must for flipping and pitching so if you have a lot of line out you can take that line back up quickly so you can get a good hookset. As far as flipping rods go I use a 7'6'' heavy abu garcia vendetta and I like it very much, but its really all about what kind of cover you will be flipping and pitching into.
Old 05-21-2012, 03:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by fishinty
I think a 7:1 gear ratio reel is a must for flipping and pitching so if you have a lot of line out you can take that line back up quickly so you can get a good hookset. As far as flipping rods go I use a 7'6'' heavy abu garcia vendetta and I like it very much, but its really all about what kind of cover you will be flipping and pitching into.

Good call on the 7:1. I run the burner's that Quantum offers for the same purpose. Being able to reeled down and quickly take up that slack line really improves the quality of hooksets!
Old 05-22-2012, 05:33 AM
Dominant Buck

Phil...on pitching ..the correct way is to make short under hand cast with your baitcaster..

HOWEVER..because yours is giving you a problem..that is not necessary..I don't do that with mine..I strip line line off the reel like a fly reel and pitch like that..when I get a hit I'll quicly reel in the slack and set the hook.

As far as a better reel..i aint buying no more rods and reels until mine wear out. I caught alot of hawgs this year on 5 year old and plus tackle...new line..you bettcha..

Also Phil..pitching and flipping will cause you to catch bigger bass and make your tackle last longer.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I should have clarified on my earlier post about having to use a nice baitcaster for flipping and pitching. To further elaborate and clarify, a good flipping reel doesnt need to be a nice reel, just a reel with a nice drag system. For pitching though, I firmly stand behind my statement that a nice reel must be purchased to flip adequately, especially if you are flipping distances greater than 20 feet. That is where higher quality baitcasters outshine lesser bait casters. The smoothness, the controlled freespool (oxymoron i know), and the ability of the drag to hold under hard hooksets and heavy vegetation is a MUST, and my opinion you get what you pay for with baitcasters up to around the $175-$200 limit (not that you should pay that, if you can find used for cheaper go for it!). Beyond that, its diminishing returns. However, others may strongly disagree and they are entitled to their opinion with every right that I am entitled to mine. Lately, I pitch FAR more than I flip, so maybe that is the reasoning as to why I feel the way I do. Heck, I would say most of my fishing during the summer (right now) is 75 percent pitching to cover of some sort with 24 percent going to casting and the remaining 1 percent going to flipping. Again, to each his own, but if you are going to do a lot of pitching, go large on the reel if at all possible, it will make the technique much more productive for you.

Last edited by Gangly; 05-22-2012 at 07:38 AM.
Old 05-22-2012, 11:02 AM
Dominant Buck

No clarification ever needed...we love ya Aaron { -;
Old 05-22-2012, 03:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

Ok, Thanks Chuck, I will have to give that a try soon. It will not be long now and the bass will be hitting every where up here.. I did catch around a 4 pund small mouth on my flyrod early in the year while trolling a streamer for salmon. That was a lot of fun fighting it. The bass never broke water though as it was still to cold. ( Just after ice out..)
Old 05-23-2012, 01:49 AM
Dominant Buck

Your welcome Phil

Last edited by Chuck7; 05-23-2012 at 01:52 AM.