Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Freshwater Fishing
Help With Salmon Fishing Rod/Reel Selection >

Help With Salmon Fishing Rod/Reel Selection

Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Help With Salmon Fishing Rod/Reel Selection

Old 03-16-2012, 12:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Help With Salmon Fishing Rod/Reel Selection

I'll start off by saying I'm a complete rookie and the only fishing I've ever done is with my Mickey Mouse pole for sunfish in my grandma's pond as a child. I have found myself to be in the fortunate position of working in Alaska, which has some of the best salmon fishing anywhere, and I've decided I need to learn how to fish. I've done a little reading on the subject, but I'd like to get some opinions before I make any purchases.

I see myself targeting mainly salmon in mainly freshwater, but I suppose tidal areas are a possibility as well. From what I've read, most recommend a spinning reel, a medium weight rod, and somewhere around 30lb test line. Does this sound about right? If not, what would you recommend for a beginner? I should say that I'm an avid hunter and spend a great deal of time outside, so I'm comfortable with the concept of fishing, I've just never done it before.

Most importantly, I'm looking for recommendations for specific gear to purchase. Budget wise I was thinking $100-175 for a rod and reel. I would like something quality, but it doesn't have to be overly fancy, just a good mid-range model. I know once I get hooked (bad pun) I'll find ways to spend even more money with the hobby. I think I've heard Uglysticks are supposed to be good rods, is this true? What length and stiffness would you recommend? I don't know anything about reels, so all suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,
-Steven
Old 03-16-2012, 04:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

I wish I could help you but all I had ever fished salmon with is a flyrod. It does sound like a great trip though and from what I hear is that you may want to be carefull around those brown bears.. Good Luck to you and if you can send us a few pics of your fishing experiences.. Thanks..