HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Freshwater Fishing (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/freshwater-fishing-21/)
-   -   Falcon rods ? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/freshwater-fishing/358484-falcon-rods.html)

Chuck7 02-12-2012 01:30 PM

Falcon rods ?

Walmart is now carrying some very nice rods...their best rod at least down here is the Falcon rod.They feel awesome. However can someone explain why everyone of the guides are so tiny.i would think that this would restrict the line some when casting. Can someone enlighten me to the purpose of these micro small guides..
Thanks,
C7

Chuck7 02-12-2012 01:48 PM

Here are answers for me..I hope it will paste..this iPad is nice but very different.lol.....yes! It worked..

Micro guides have their share of advantages and disadvantages. The advantages include, but are not limited to:

- Increased sensitivity by less add weight to the rod blank

- Increased sensitivity by less added build weight (less rod finish and thread)

- Increased casting distance by reducing the amount of line slap through the guides

- Increased durability by providing a smaller lever for bending

- Smaller "footprint" on the blank - this decreases the amount of influence on the rod blank's natural flex

- Fewer wind knots

- Less tangles on deck and in rods lockers

- Easier entry into rod lockers and tubes

Disadvantages include:

- Can clog easier with dirty water (cottonwood blooms, heavy slime in water, etc)

- Can ice over easier in sub 32 deg F environments

- Smaller sizes may have trouble passing knots between main line and leader

- Larger sized micros (5s, 4.5s, 4s) may be needed for larger diameter fishing line (ex. 25# monofilament)

- Availability - currently matching micro tip tops have not been available, but should be within the next few months

- Lines with lots of memory (old mono) may not perform well

Micro guides are not for every angler or every rod. As with any rod selection, the buyer needs to be aware of what is available and how it will help or hinder his or her abilities on water. The greatest thing about micros is a new option that truly impacts rod performance is available!

buckhunter14 02-12-2012 04:28 PM

Chuck, I see you have read via the internet the benefit of micro guides.

My favorite thing is they make the rod lighter.

I have a few micro guide rods for bass fishing. Last year, my flippin' stick was a micro guide Quantum Smoke. From experience, I will not be using this as much for flippin' as I have a new rod for this purpose. I do really like the performance of the smoke and will use it as a spinnerbait/alabama rod.

Chuck7 02-13-2012 02:17 AM

It's funny but I'm growing out of my need for more rods lol.finally (-: . There are many new rods I'd love to get but I already have 15...Mostly inexpensive rods like lightning rods and Ugly Sticks...when these fail to catch fish..I'll buy some more...I do love the feel of the Falcon rods..but I'll keep my 135.00. Lol

Appreciate the feedback buck

JoshKeller 02-13-2012 02:47 PM

ive got 9 falcon caras. best value out there. Certain times of the year gander mountain clearances them out for around 50 - 60% off retail. For casting rods, the micro guides are pretty nice. I wouldnt want them on a spinning rod though. too much friction

Gangly 02-13-2012 06:46 PM

I love my falcon rods... Super light and sensitive. They have a chaper line that is more budget friendly called the HD series that are about 60 bucks that are awesome as well. Great sensitivity and durability. I have the Bucoo rods under my nicer reels but have a few of the HD rods on my backups and love them. Check out the HD series if you ever need another rod, I wouldn't hesitate to by another and will prolly wind up with a few more before years end. One thing to consider though, Falcon rods are usually linhter actions than similarly marked rods of other brands. For exmple, a medium Falcon rod acts more like a medium light to medium and a heavy feels more like a stiffer than avg medium/heavy.

Chuck7 02-13-2012 10:35 PM

Glad you fellows like your rods..if I ever need another rod i'll get one....as of now both rod racks are filled...

My best rod is a 5.00 yards sale Fenwick Triggerstick Legend that books for 80.00. I like the 7 foot medium action Ugly Sticks for drifting and setting the hooks with 10 pound mono.the flex in
the rod helps to keep the line from breaking..On the Fenwick I sanded the cork handle down to properly fit my hand..it's my favorite rod. It.s 6 feet 10 inches. I took 2 inches off the butt.

My 2 seven foot MHLightning rods actually feel like heavy action...I think they ymay be good this year with flipping secondary structure using 30 or 40 braid..

I think Lightning rods are totally under rated...especially the older ones.i still have my first 2 Lightning rods..1981 alll guides are like new and both rods have boated 100s of bass...they were pure black uwith the bold orange Lightning rod decal.This year they look a lot like the Carrot Stick..sharp looking rod.i bought my son one..he loves it...not bad for 39.95

For the money..I like the 100,00 Garcia Revo..reel Wally no longer carrys that model. I get them new from EBay ...last one was free shipping.new in box. I've bought two from EBay..